Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Dark Knight?

• Please log in to reply

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts

What do you mean by kitchy scenes?

There were kitchy scenes (I don't want to spoil anything), especially towards the end of the movie, which could have been spared to keep the movie's dark feel.

Also, I disagree with people who think that movies are too long.

I don't automatically vote against long movies, not at all. I thought the last Pirates of the Caribbean was long, but it was pretty good. The length did not hurt the quality of the movie, in this case (though, it had other drawbacks, but this is not the venue to discuss it).

Maybe if the problem is that it drags on then that could be an issue. However, people make claims that movies are too long based solely on the actual length of the movie.

I don't. I personally find that this movie could have been a lot better had the producers decided to make it shorter, simply because the dark feel of the movie and the message it tries to convey both are very powerful and need to be properly delivered by a good ending. Perhaps I was a little too harsh on the length, and maybe the ending is to blame. The ending actually dragged on for a long time and I'm not sure it was the right thing to do. I feel that in this case, the producers of the movie have decided to make it long so that it gives 'good value for money', or such. I don't pay for the minutes in the movie, I pay for the content.

Also, whether or not this movie can compare to movies like the Godfather is a personal opinion

This was just an issue I've been thinking of today, and I think you're wrong here. Whether or not The Godfather is a #1 IMDB Top 250 movie is indeed open to discussion, but you do agree with me that these two movies don't share a lot of qualities. Not even in the setting and the plot, but rather in the making of the movie, the details and the thoughts that the movie provokes. It's simply not the same, and thus doesn't equal to The Godfather. Whether or not it ranks up to it, is a different matter.

However, I feel that overall this movie earned its score by the masses.

It earned most of the score by its qualities, however some of the score was defiantly caused by the hype. Plus, the fact that this is Heath Ledger's 'last movie', if we put it like that - also contributed to the hype.

I for one do not really get into the whole actor/actress thing.

Neither do I, I am not too sensitive to good and bad acting. However, I can detect when the actor is suitable for the role and generally does it well - this movie had the roles tailored to the actors.

It is unfair to compare movies of different ages, since styles are always changing, graphics are always changing, and everything else too.

That is a different matter, however, The Godfather was on the top spot(s) on IMDB ever since its launch I think. Styles do not change so radically and suddenly.

My point is that even during less meaningfull incedents, the joker always seemed to display a perfect emotion for the part.

That is true. The joker made most of the movie, actually, and the fact that he has been given an actual depth (along with closeup scenes, his movements and his changing thoughts) contributed to the movie's dark feel, so that he's not just yet another baddie.

Advertisements

MatrixEquilibrium

MatrixEquilibrium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Quite a lengthy post, Tal.

I enjoyed the entirety of the movie except for the ending, and I agree with you that it could've been done better, a lot better.

Spoiler:
>By the way, the Joker's not dead....<

Edited by MatrixEquilibrium, 30 July 2008 - 03:31 PM.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
I'll take that as a compliment. :)

We both liked the movie very much, but we liked it in different ways, and that is the good thing about movies and art in general. Good art (and I consider movies art) can be interpreted in many different ways. I do want to emphasize that I did like this movie very much. I think that The Dark Knight, along with No Country For Old Men (which is awesome; a must-watch, if you dare! BTW, these two movies actually share a major theme - luck) are the best movies of 2008, if I don't miss any hidden gem. However, my point is that it missed a lot of its potential.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
OK, I really enjoyed the movie but I must add the one thing that kind of got on my nerves toward the end….. Christian Bale’s batman voice!! I know he is trying to disguise it so people don’t recognize him as Bruce Wayne, but its too deep, and you can tell he strains to keep it that deep. :) Just had to throw in something I didn’t like.

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

OK, I really enjoyed the movie but I must add the one thing that kind of got on my nerves toward the end….. Christian Bale’s batman voice!! I know he is trying to disguise it so people don’t recognize him as Bruce Wayne, but its too deep, and you can tell he strains to keep it that deep. laughing.gif Just had to throw in something I didn’t like.

Lol, I think that is better then a superman that takes off glasses to fool everyone... Who knows... maybe since he is rich, he will invest in a better way to disguise his voice?

Also, sorry Tal if I sounded too negative towards you. Every negative comment I hear nowadays towards movies are usually for the wrong reason. I guess I'm starting to generalize people on this fact now. Now that I look back at the movie though, I think the beginning/middle of the movie created so much of a high for me that the end couldn't really drag it down much at the time. Plus it built up a lot of anticipation for the ending throughout the movie. I mean, when I first saw him flip that coin of his for the first time in the movie I was like "Oh <Bleep>". However, I will say that they may have been better off leaving the ending for the next movie. Unless that was their way of saying that they currently don't plan on making another one...

MatrixEquilibrium

MatrixEquilibrium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

OK, I really enjoyed the movie but I must add the one thing that kind of got on my nerves toward the end….. Christian Bale’s batman voice!! I know he is trying to disguise it so people don’t recognize him as Bruce Wayne, but its too deep, and you can tell he strains to keep it that deep. :) Just had to throw in something I didn’t like.

I couldn't agree more, I was thinking about that everytime he opened his mouth.

By the way, I read that he didn't [obviously] speak like that, it was manipulated with a sound-editing program to make it sound deeper and more robotic. I didn't really like it, but at the same time, I thought Spider-man's voice was really wimpy everytime Peter Parker talked under the mask. A little deep would've been fine.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Christian Bale’s batman voice!! I know he is trying to disguise it so people don’t recognize him as Bruce Wayne

he puffs his lips out too....looks like a duck...hehe if only i could just talk gruff and low and no one would know who i was hehe

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I have been talking in my batman voice all day at work..... this is to fun :) people look at me like I crazy, and I overheard one co-worker ask another if I had throat cancer of something :)

I have a natural deep, deep voice so I bet I am even scaring some people. Come on every one try it for a little wile and see what people say or do :)

MatrixEquilibrium

MatrixEquilibrium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

I have a natural deep, deep voice so I bet I am even scaring some people. Come on every one try it for a little wile and see what people say or do :)

LOL thats hilarious.