Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Aero to Basic

• Please log in to reply

FoSho

FoSho

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,

My problem is pretty insignificant. I could live and get by without ever knowing what's wrong since it isn't that big of a deal. But I've come to ask anyway, simply because I'm curious as to why this is happening.

Okay, so here goes.

I just recently got Windows Vista, about 2 days ago in fact, and I only run a few, selective applications at all times during the day. They vary depending on what I feel like doing. What I'm almost always on is mIRC, an IRC client. I also run iTunes and from time-to-time, Mozilla Firefox applications for browsing the Web. I also play a few first-person shooter games such as Soldier Front and Combat Arms. The problem itself is around mIRC, however.

I mentioned the theme changing, and that's exactly what is happening, but only with mIRC, and I never witness the change myself. I figured it had to do with some of the things I was running. The theme changes from Vista Aero to Vista Basic only with mIRC; nothing else have I seen change from Vista Aero to Basic.

If someone could please point in me in the right direction as to why, it would be greatly appreciated. Again, I could live with the occasional theme change. I mean I could always change it back, but I'm very curious, so there ya go.

Much obliged,
-FoSho

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Could you please tell me how much RAM you have?
It would help to know all of the spec.s of your machine, E.G. processor, video card, Etc...
The reason is that Vista will change themes for best performance, IF your hardware does not support Aero.
In order to run Aero you need at least 1 Gigibyte of RAM, but if you have a lot of resource hungry applications running you would need more.(My machine uses about 900 Megabytes of RAM just sitting)

FoSho

FoSho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Oh, I can't believe I forgot the specs. Here they are:

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual E2160 @ 1.8GHz
Memory: 2GB
Graphics: Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

I understand that Vista would change themes for performance, but mIRC uses minimal memory and CPU to run. I just don't understand why it would change themes for that.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
It is not your specs!
Let me see if I can find any conflict with Mirc, and aero.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
In this forum your issue is discussed.
It seems to be an issue with unicode in the title bar.
Do you have sp1 for Vista?
Maybe that you need to find a newer version of mIRC.

FoSho

FoSho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I see... it just seems to be a bug with Vista and mIRC not cooperating then. Oh well, no biggy. I'll live with it until a solution is come to. If that doesn't happen, then I'll manage with the occasional theme change.

My mIRC is currently v6.33, the latest.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I think that it is more of a bug with Vista.
Have you tried running mIRC in compatability mode?
Also, try right clicking and select "run as administrator".
Speaking of administrator, I know that it is a pain to have to put in an administrator password, but if you use a limited account your machine will be much safer.
One last thing, is your Adobe up to date?

FoSho

FoSho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm not sure how to go about running mIRC in compatibility mode because I've never heard of it.

My account is the administrator account and the only account on this computer. Nobody else uses it or has access to it. I've never tried running as administrator. What are the benefits of it?

Everything on my computer is up-to-date. Updating everything was the first thing I did when I booted the OS for the very first time. Oh and from a previous post you asked if had SP1. The answer is yes.

Edited by FoSho, 29 July 2008 - 10:26 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Right click on mIRC.
  • Select properties.
  • Select compatablity.
  • Check run in compatability for:.
  • Select Windows XP.
This will give you a general idea of user accounts.
With Vista,
  • if you create a new user account,
  • make it a limited account,
  • and use it,
  • you can do anything that you can do with the administrator account if you enter your password.

FoSho

FoSho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Okay, thank you. I'll see if it helps.