Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

When you're blind, what do you see?

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
There are none so blind as those who will not see!

As stated by dsenette in post #4:
Einstein's theory of relativity goes along with this...as you reach the speed of light...time for the traveler slows down relative to a fixed point or a point that you pass by on your journey...really heady stuff

When Einstein was in college, I believe it was Philosophy class, his professor was on the topic of religion with one of the students. After a few back and forth comments between the student and professor, the professor asked this student named Einstein his opinion which led to this: Evil is not Evil. It is the absence of good.Just as there is no such thing as cold. Cold is the absence of heat. And black is not black, just an absence of light. The blacker it is, the less light there is. So sight is not blind, just the absence of sight. Though through the other senses of taste, touch, sound, etc., nothing is blind to those who are absent of sight. They see with their senses that are heightened due to the lack of sight.

This is not the true version of their conversation. Just what I can remember from some time ago. May not have anything to do with "What does a blind person see?" But, it sure explains the possibility of those who can see, yet can not see what those who can't see, can!

Made since to me! :)

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by DonnaB, 25 June 2010 - 10:18 PM.

Advertisements

MrDarn

MrDarn

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
As a comparison, try to think of being blind, as you now not having the gift of telepathy.

Imagine how it feels to know everyone else can see your thoughts, yet you have no idea what they see, or how they interpreted the information.

That is my conception of someone who was blind from birth. Exactly how i would feel now if i found out everyone else was telepathic.

I would not know what i was missing, i would be able to imagine what it would be like, but my concept of the ability would probably be totally different from yours.

How about if you could feel magnetism? can you imagine what that would be like? yes! could you explain it?...

dmh7071

dmh7071

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have no credentials, nor have I asked a person who has both been blind and seeing if this is so, but the quickest way to comprehend what it is like to be blind is to find a room with no windows, block every light source, and turn off the lights. Then wander around, and imagine that anyone else could see.

blueblue

blueblue

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
I've been around totally blind people all my life. I'm visually impaired, which means, not being completely blind. My blind friends say they can see light when they press on their eyes. I don't know how they know what it is they're seeing. Many blind children do this. Once I asked what it was like being totally blind, and someone said, "Imagine not seeing anything at all, not even light", so I closed my eyes and covered them, and saw black. I know it'd be hard to explain black to someone who's never had sight, but I believed it is black they see. Later in life I got one blind eye. Shine a light into it, I won't see it, it sees black; black is the absence of light. My brain knows there's light, it can try to fool me into thinking that eye sees it but I know it doesn't. I say, "My eye is remembering." It's interesting to wonder how others perceive things. Most people think in pictures or impressions, as far as I know. I can plug my ears up with cotton and hear nothing. There's no way of explaining perceptions to someone who's unable to receive them. (IMHO-In My Humble Opinion). I've been around people with different disabilities. Many "normal" people think our senses compensate for ones we lack. This may be partially true, I say this because I believe we're all born with specific abilities that may not be well developed, but become so with the need for their use. I knew a woman who became blind in later life, who was asked about hearing better since blindness, and she said her hearing wasn't better, she just used it more. It's more about our awareness of something, when we focus more on it, it seems to be more intense, I believe. bb