Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File system error (65535)

• Please log in to reply

ForeColor

ForeColor

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hey, back once again, yet with another problem! :)

When I power on and power off, the loading screens are black instead of blueish like they normally would be and, I can't open very many applications, on Vista when your screen would dim black and ask you to continue or cancel, it doesn't show that anymore. It will dim in and then out really quick. Resulting in a little box saying the location of the file following "File system error (65535)"

Any help would be excellent, :)

Advertisements

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
You can try running system file checker.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

ForeColor

ForeColor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
The first step states, "Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow."

I can not do that because it does not let me click continue, it just dims black then out. I tried not running as admin and it won't let me, says I need to be admin to use the sfc utility.

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Try booting the system into safe mode and run the command.

ForeColor

ForeColor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Yes, while in Safe Mode I can, thanks will try be back briefly.

ForeColor

ForeColor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thank you, makinu1der2

I really do appreciate it, honest truth.

You're a life saver.
Thanks, cheers!

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
You are welcome.

ForeColor

ForeColor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I didn't mention, but everything is working properly.

Anthony K

Anthony K

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I didn't mention, but everything is working properly.

I was following another of your topics (* has stopped working.) and noticed that you normally post back stating everything is working normally. That's good as it helps close out a ticket, or a post in this instance!

However, to help others out, it would also be a good idea to post back _how_ you resolved the issue. In this post, it looks like following the article provided resolved the issue. However, in the post I've linked to above, it would have helped me out had you posted how you resolved the issue!

PS: I've sent you a private message regarding that post and I anxiously await your reply - :) .

Cheers,
Anthony.

(Edited: making reference to post clickable)

Edited by Anthony K, 14 September 2008 - 10:23 PM.