Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mouse stopping and starting

• Please log in to reply

purplemartin

purplemartin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i am having a problem with my usb optical mouse. it works some of the time but sometimes is cutting out, stopping and starting. the red light inside the mouse is shutting off and then coming back on and is making a clunking noise that i get when i plug a usb device into the usb ports when this happens. i have tried a second usb mouse with the same result. i tried plugging into the other usb ports with the same result as well, working for a couple minutes and then shutting off stopping and starting. every once in a while i am getting the message something about the usb device not recognized (i think that is what it said) but not very often. it is mostly just stopping and starting. can someone help me fix so my mouse works properly again?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Have you tried a different USB port or a USB to PS/2 converter?

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
A usb to ps/2 converter would work, or a powered usb hub.
The light going out indicates a power issue.
What else do you have plugged in to usb ports? Cameras draw a lot of power, as well as other media devices.
Here is an article on usb, and powered usb hubs.

purplemartin

purplemartin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yes, i have tried the mice in different usb ports with the same result. i don't have a ps/2 input on my laptop. i don't have anything else plugged into the usb ports. when i do use plug my camera and usb microphone into the usb ports they seem to be working without any noticeable issues from what i can tell, but i do not leave them plugged in when not in use. it is working right now at least but i suspect it is gonna start malfunctioning again. when it happens it is pretty annoying.

Edited by purplemartin, 31 July 2008 - 10:58 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go to Device Manager and expand "Mice and Other Pointing Devices". Right click the driver that show up and uninstall it. Reboot and let windows find and install the driver.

purplemartin

purplemartin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Go to Device Manager and expand "Mice and Other Pointing Devices". Right click the driver that show up and uninstall it. Reboot and let windows find and install the driver.

ok i tried that. it did not resolve the issue.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You say this is with a laptop. Is this by chance, only an issue when the laptop is running off battery power?

purplemartin

purplemartin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yes it is a laptop. no it is always plugged in i rarely if ever use it on battery power. it is weird that it works some of the time and then other times the mouse stops and starts working.