Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Security center [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Don_M

Don_M

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have a pop-ups on my desktop, identified as "XP Security Center", with the scan scam and other junk. I can't uninstall it via control panel, nor can I delete the program through Windows Explorer. The thing is driving me nuts! How can I get rid of it?

Advertisements

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Hi there,

Please download Runscanner to your desktop and run it.
  • When the first page comes up select Beginner Mode
  • On the next page select Save a binary .Run file (Recommended) then click Start full scan at the top.
  • At this time Runscanner.exe may request access to the Internet through your firewall please allow it to do so, it will then run for two or three minutes.
  • On completion it will ask for a location to save the file and a name. It will do this for both the .run file and the log file
  • Call the .run file "Mylog" and save it to your desktop. You will see the .run file on your desktop. Upload that file here.
    If the forum doesn't let you upload it then please zip the .run file by right clicking the file and selecting send to Zip file.

To attach a file, do the following:* Click Add Reply
* Under the reply panel is the Attachments Panel
* Browse for the attachment file you want to upload, then click the green Upload button
* Once it has uploaded, click the Manage Current Attachments drop down box
* Click on Posted Image to insert the attachment into your post

Don_M

Don_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks Mike. Enclosed is per your request.Attached File  MyLog.zip   94.2KB   127 downloads

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Hi there :)

The steps that I am about to suggest involve modifying the registry. Modfying the registry can be dangerous so we will make a backup of the registry first.

Backing Up Your Registry
  • Go Here and download ERUNT
    (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
  • Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
  • Start ERUNT
    (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
  • Choose a location for the backup
    (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.

Then,

Download the zipped attachment at the end of this post (this will be your runscanner file fixed by me).
  • Unzip it to your desktop then double click the runscanner icon this will run the program.
  • You will notice several entries in red.
  • Click the button at the top called Fix selected items
  • Accept the warning(s) and repeat until they are all gone.
  • Reboot your PC

And,

Please download Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) and save it to your Desktop.
  • Close all other windows before proceeding.
  • Double-click on dss.exe and follow the prompts.
  • When it has finished, dss will open two Notepads main.txt and extra.txt -- please copy (CTRL+A and then CTRL+C) and paste (CTRL+V) the contents of main.txt and extra.txt in your next reply.
Note:These logs may be too large to post in one reply, if so, please post extra.txt in a separate reply.

Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 7. Once done, uninstall any older versions of Java through add or remove programs.

Go to Kaspersky website and perform an online antivirus scan.

• Read through the requirements and privacy statement and click on Accept button.
  • It will start downloading and installing the scanner and virus definitions. You will be prompted to install an application from Kaspersky. Click Run.
  • When the downloads have finished, click on Settings.
  • Make sure these boxes are checked (ticked). If they are not, please tick them and click on the Save button:
    • Spyware, Adware, Dialers, and other potentially dangerous programs
      Archives
      Mail databases
  • Click on My Computer under Scan.
  • Once the scan is complete, it will display the results. Click on View Scan Report.
  • You will see a list of infected items there. Click on Save Report As....
  • Save this report to a convenient place. Change the Files of type to Text file (.txt) before clicking on the Save button.

Post back with Main.txt and extra.txt along with the kaspersky scan results :)

Edited by Mike, 01 August 2008 - 10:11 AM.

Don_M

Don_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks Mike. I've followed all the directions to the installation of Java. When I go to Kaspersky website, it tells me I need a version of Java, so it is apparently not recognizing my program. So I'm stuck at that point. What do I need to do to get my installation recognized?

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Did you reboot your computer after installing the Java and before trying to run the Kaspersky scan?

Try it once more if you could :)

• Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 7.
  • Scroll down to where it says "The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform and check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 License Agreement.".
  • Click on Continue.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation (jre-6u6-windows-i586-p.exe) and save it to your desktop. Do NOT use the Sun Download Manager..
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on the download to install the newest version.

Don_M

Don_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi Mike.
Sorry it took so long to get back.
Could not get Kaspersky to recognize Java, and the Malware kept interrupting my connection to IE7.
So I tried Spybot, which was ineffective. Then I tried Windows Defender, which finally took care of the problem.
Thanks for all your help!
..Don

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Hi,

Glad to hear it, if you want to make sure go ahead and run this scan instead.

Please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner
Note: You will need to use Internet Explorer for this scan
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the ActiveX control to install
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the options Remove found threats and the option Scan unwanted applications is checked
  • Click Scan (This scan can take several hours, so please be patient)
  • Once the scan is completed, you may close the window
  • Use Notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.