Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Loading Up Problem

• Please log in to reply

Liam T P

Liam T P

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, as above, when trying to load up Windows XP, we get nothing. Obviously not on this computer, on another, but it is running XP. It has 2 hard drives, one for internet and the other for gaming. On turning the computer on it loads as it did before, offering the option of internet or gaming, whatever one is chosen, it just loops round to itself. Hard to describe so I have provided some pictures. But before this was happeneing, somebody had been on the computer (internet) and the toolbar at the bottom had vanished. So we gave the computer a reboot and it was at the state it is now. Trying to reload Windows XP from backup disc but there are no options to let us do this. Any help would be much appreciated.
Liam
Photo_0052.jpg Loading
Photo_0054.jpg Select internet or gaming
Photo_0055.jpg Due to windows being rebooted, have tried all options
Photo_0056.jpg Looks as if its loading
Photo_0057.jpg Loops back round to this screen

I have tried every option on the third picture and have also tried all the options when pressing F8 on the 2nd picture.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Do you have your Windows XP CD?

If so, boot up with that and choose "R" at the first menu, that will get you into the recovery console, from there, at the prompt, type in "chkdsk /r" without the quotation marks. Let check disk run, it may take some time, but when it's finished, type in "exit" and let the system reboot. Hopefully it will fix any system files that may have gotten corrupted.

If the above does not help you will probably need to do a repair install on the computer.

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

SRX660

Liam T P

Liam T P

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes I do have the Windows XP CD. I just get the same screens as shown above. There is no way of loading from the CD. But at the green Asus logo screen, on pressing Alt+F2, I get the screen shown.
Photo_0050.jpg
Is there anything I can type in here? It says, "Please Enter File Name For NEW BIOS".
This is about as far as I can get away from the same 5 screens!
Thanks again.
Liam

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Do not try to update your bios. That is not your problem.

Lets try to get into the BIOS to change the boot order. When you start the computer up keep hitting the delete keyas fast as you can. This should get you to a blue screen like this one.

Posted Image

Usually in the advanced screen you can find the boot order. You need to change the boot order to first boot from the cdrom drive, then the hard drive. You can open screens with the enter key, and move around in the windows with the arrow keys. you can change the setting with the left or right arrow keys ( sometimes the up and down arrow keys too). You will just have to mess with the keys until you understand what they can do. use the Esc key to get out of any window and to get out of the bios completely. Usually if you want to save the changes you made you hit the F10 key, and the ensuing OK windows to get out of the BIOS.

Once out of the bios you can start the computer so you can open the cd tray and insert you XP CD. Now the computer should start from the CD instead of the hard drive. Once you have booted to the CD you can do a repair install on the computer. Be aware that you may have to reinstall everything all over again. You just never know what will happen.

SRX660

Liam T P

Liam T P

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Right, after I hit the delete key at the right time I configure it to boot from the CD drive primarily on the list, then the hard drive in second position, all fine. I then hit any key to boot from CD when instructed to, I then get this screen.
Photo_0052.jpg
I then hit "R" to repair my windows installation. It all seems as if it's going fine until i then get this screen.
Photo_0051.jpg
If you can't read the writing let me know and I will type it all up here!
But it says to restart the computer on first discovery of this message, so I did. And it all boots up again as before, boot from CD. Choose to repair, and i get this screen again.
It has instructions of what to do but I do not know how to carry them out!
I am walking on egg shells here, i'm not a novice when it comes to computers, but I don't want to go changing things that cannot be reversed, hence the multiple detailed messages. Your help is much appreciated, thank you.
Liam

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If it is possible can you install the problem computers hard drive into the good computer and see if you can access the files on that hard drive. Make sure the drive is jumpered as a slave and is installed on the middle connector of the IDE cable. If you cannot access the hard drive or the good computer wont boot up with the 2nd hard drive installed, the hard drive has gone bad.

Heres what Aumha has on 0x50 errors. If possible try some different memory in the computer.

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

"Stop 0x50" Error Message While Installing Windows
http://support.micro...=171003&sd=RMVP

STOP: 0x00000050
CAUSE
These errors may be caused by one or more of the following:
• Hardware failure (memory, processor, or motherboard).
• Anti-virus software that is running on your computer.
• Drivers installed by third-party software.

RESOLUTION
To resolve these behaviors, perform one or more of the following:
• Replace the faulty hardware. You may be able to determine the faulty hardware by running diagnostics provided by the manufacturer. Please contact the hardware manufacturer for more information.
• Disable any anti-virus software that is running on your computer. If the STOP errors no longer occur, contact the anti-virus software manufacturer about a possible upgrade.
• Disable any third-party drivers that may be running. If the STOP errors no longer occur, contact the third-party manufacturer about a possible upgrade.

The most likely thing is either the memory or the hard drive has gone bad here. Only way to tell is to test the hardware.

SRX660