Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Grandpa's Messed Up His Computer [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

sage5

sage5

RIP 10/2009

• Retired Staff
  • 2,646 posts
This is an old bug showing up again.

Although the official solution involves reinstalling the framework after manipulating the registry with the installer cleanup tool, there's a much simpler way to fix this:

1. Instead of using Windows Update, download the KB928366 package from Here
Click the Download button and save to the Desktop.
Do not install yet.

2. Download the .Net framework 1.1 redistributable package from Here
Click the Download button & save to the Desktop.

3. Download the trial version of WinRAR from Here & install it.
Right click on the dotnetfx.exe file and choose Open with ..., select WinRAR archiver.
Highlight all of the following files:
netfx.msi
install.exe
InstMsi.exe
InstMsiW.exe
netfx1.cab

Click the Extract button & put them in a new folder like C:\Windows\Temp\DotNetFix

4. Double click the NDP1.1sp1-KB928366-X86.exe file to begin installation of the dreaded update.
It will soon complain that it can't find the installation CD-ROM (don't ask me why).
Browse to the C:\Windows\Temp\DotNetFix folder & click OK or Open

That's it.

(Fix courtesy of Patrick Philippot - Microsoft MVP MainSoft Consulting Services)

Advertisements

LTmoney32

LTmoney32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Bad news, the dreaded update is still to be dreaded :) I followed all instructions up to:

4. Double click the NDP1.1sp1-KB928366-X86.exe file to begin installation of the dreaded update.

As soon as I clicked the "run" button, the same message popped up that had popped up during previous failed installations:

SL1.tmp has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the invonvenience.

I tried four times, each time it said SL1.tmp, SL2.tmp, SL3.tmp and so on. I rebooted and tried to install again and it gave the same message starting over at SL1.tmp. If there's another simple solution the this problem I'd love to try it but if we have to go with the official solution that's alright. I thought we were finally done :) I look forward to hearing back...

sage5

sage5

RIP 10/2009

• Retired Staff
  • 2,646 posts
Try this:

Go to Here to download the Windows Installer 3.1.
Near the bottom of the page click on the Download button beside WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe

Save to the Desktop & install.
You may be asked to reboot after the install.

Then try to run the NDP1.1sp1-KB928366-X86.exe file again.

Let me know how you got on

LTmoney32

LTmoney32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Another error, after downloading and double-clicking the setup icon I got this message:

KB893903v2 Setup Error
Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying.
There is no need to install this update...

sage5

sage5

RIP 10/2009

• Retired Staff
  • 2,646 posts
OK, so it's the long way then....

1. Download Windows Installer Clean Up Utility to the Desktop.
Double click the new file to install.

2. Download Dotnetfx Cleanup Tool to the Desktop.
We may not need to use this, but better to have it available.

3. Download the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 from Here and save to the Desktop.

4. Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the following in order: (You may be asked to restart between uninstalls)
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
---> not quite sure why there are 2 of these.

5. Double click on the msicuu2.exe file (Windows Installer Clean Up Utility) to install
Go to Start > All Programs > Windows Install Cleanup to run the app.
Hold down the Ctrl key & click on all entries that mention Microsoft .Net Framework
Click the Remove button.

6. Extract the dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip file to a folder like C:\dotnet_clean
Double click on the cleanup_tool.exe file.
Click Yes
Under Product to cleanup, make sure that .NET Framework - All Versions is selected
Click CleanUp Now button.

7. Double click the dotnetfx.exe file, (.Net framework 1.1 redistributable package) from earlier, & install the whole package again.
(You may be asked to restart)

8. Double click on the NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe file (Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1) to install the update.
Don't confuse this with the NDP1.1sp1-KB928366-X86.exe file used in Post#16

9. Try installing the dreaded update from the Windows Update site. We only want that update, so look for the KB928366 number, and unselect all others
I realise that we downloaded this file earlier, so we have the file "on tap", but I would rather play this by the book.

Let me know how you get on

LTmoney32

LTmoney32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
So I ran across another problem as I tried to uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, it gave me the following message:

The following error occured during setup:
Patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package.

This made me think that maybe it wasn't installed correctly, so I went back and downloaded Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (x86) from Windows Download Center and tried to install it. It failed and I got an error message. I found some sort of error log and here it is:

[08/05/08,10:31:58] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
[08/05/08,10:32:25] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a is not installed.
[08/05/08,10:52:31] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
[08/05/08,10:53:00] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a is not installed.

I'm wondering if you just want me to go ahead and keep going with the cleanup and not worry about .NET Framework 2.0 for now, maybe that's the reason none of this is working. Or should I wait for further instructions from you? Thanks...

LTmoney32

LTmoney32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I've got about 24 more hours to try and get this fixed so let's hope we can figure it out before I take off :) Thanks again for all the help...

sage5

sage5

RIP 10/2009

• Retired Staff
  • 2,646 posts
Just continue on with the instructions, the 2 cleanup utitlities should get rid of the v2 issues as well.
When we get the v1.1 sorted, you should be able to re install v2.

LTmoney32

LTmoney32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Dreaded update installed!! I'm actually in the airport waiting to take-off. I didn't have time to write a reply this morning as we left pretty early. But everything looks fine as far as .NET Framework and Windows Updates are concerned. Thanks for all the help and the computer was running great before I left. Who knows what I will find the next time we make a trip out there, maybe I'll be submitting another topic during that visit also. :) Thanks again...

sage5

sage5

RIP 10/2009

• Retired Staff
  • 2,646 posts
You are very welcome LTmoney32 :)

All the best,

sage5

Advertisements

sage5

sage5

RIP 10/2009

• Retired Staff
  • 2,646 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.