Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Invalid System Configuration Information

• Please log in to reply

dvd105

dvd105

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am attempting to install Win95 on a very old Samsung labtop. I insert the setup boot disk and start up the labtop and get the following: Invalid System Information - please run SETUP program; Press F1 to continue, F2 to run the setup utility. F1 gives me the following: Setup cannot install Windows 95 on your comnputer. Your computer does not have a hard disk, your hard disk is not functioning correctly, or your hard disk requires a special device driver. Contact you computer vendor for assistance. I press F3 to exit setup and an a:\> prompt appears. F2 gives me the following: Setup has attempted to correct the following errors: *CMOS battery-backed RAM lost power.ALL CMOS defaults were loaded. *Standard CMOS checksum was invalid. Standard CMOS defaults were loaded. * Extended CMOS checksum was invalid. Extended CMOS defaults were loaded. I exit onto the Setup utility window and notice that the Boot Sector Protect is Disabled. I enable the boot sector protect but don't know how to 'save & exit' the setting. On the 'power mgmt. feature control' window the Global Power Mgmt indicates "dc enabled", which means Power Mgmt. is only active when running off of battery, which is not, and cannot be charged. Switch setting to AC - DC enabled. Again, don't know how to 'exit & save' settings. In fact, don't know how to exit from the setup utility period, so I restart and go through the same thing again. Have tried a win95 startup disk with negative results as well - the disk does not boot itself, typing in the the file names does nothing to remedy the problem. At the a: prompt, if I insert disk 1 of the windows install series, I get the message that: it is going to perform a routine check; please wait while setup intializes; Cannot create a temporary directory; If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your hard drive, you will need to create an MS-DOS boot partition to setup Windows. Then the a: prompt again. What am I doing wrong, if anything? What is the problem and how do I correct it? I've changed the CMOS battery with no noticeable results. The resolutions on the microsoft knowledge base have not resolved anything. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Most BIOS save setup with f10, or simply hitting escape twice will give you the ability to save.

The bigger issue here is the fact that your CMOS settings will not save and are not stored. There is a small batter that retains these settings form start to start...the AC power is unlikely to affect that.

You likely need to open the laptop up and replace that battery, which in many laptops is soldered.

dvd105

dvd105

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks much for the info. I've looked and the battery is not soldered to the motherboard. It can be readily seen once the keyboard is lifted. However, readily seen does not mean readily accessible. I may have to open up the labtop- Samsung SENS 700 - and that is something which I would rather not do. Some parts in the labtop are sensitively connected. I would, therefore, prefer not to open it up. Will let you know when/if the battery has been removed and replaced, if necessary, and of the results therefrom.

dvd105

dvd105

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Battery not soldered. Did not need to open the whole thing up. Simply lifted the keyboard, and changed the battery, just in case, but it caused no change in labtop's problem.