Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro freezes when using Dialup

• Please log in to reply

Carl A

Carl A

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell 2.8 dual processor with 1 gig mem and a Compaq 2.5 with 1 gig of mem both running XP Pro the issue is that when I dialup the computer freezes. Now what I mean by freezes is that I am unable to launch any programs. Now this does not happen all the time. To bring the computer out of this frozen state I either have to reset the machine manually or launch several copies of different programs. Launching several programs seems to bring it out of the frozen state quicker. Task manager records no spike to the cpu during the dial up process. But then task manager won't run if the condition exists.

I have been through 5 internal modems and 1 External modem. Current modem is a Diamond SupraMax Pro with its own DSP.

Now for the kicker the Compaq had XP Home on it and worked fine. Due to hard drive failure I installed a new hard drive and a new copy of XP PRO that is when it started acting just like the Dell.

I have googled this to no avail.

This condition only exist with the dial up :)

Any Help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Forgot Running SP3 on both machines. Problem existed prior to updating to SP3

Edited by Carl A, 02 August 2008 - 02:34 PM.

Advertisements