Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Technical question-How do I ?

• Please log in to reply

sparey1

sparey1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Right before my question, i just want to say hi to everybody and say i joint this forum for this specific problem i have.
Here goes i bought a Toshiba satellite laptop with Vista installed as the os, 3 Months have passed now and try as i might
i cannot get used to Vista and more to that, i much much prefer my old os which was Windows 2000 pro sp1 maybe its because
im to old and to set in my ways to even try to get along with Vista but there you go i just want my old OS back.
So my next course of action was to wipe my hard drive and instal windows Pro on my new machine this is where i need some advice from you guys.
I have Two copies of windows pro 2000 and one copy of windows xp all were purchased with seperate Pc's made by Dell computers which have since expired and gone to computer heaven.
after wiping the Toshiba's hard drive clean I tried installing these disc's on my Toshiba, to my horror i was promptly told that this software is only capable of being used on Dell machines.
Is there a work around on this where i can use these disc's or will i have to yet again buy yet another copy of windows xp when i have obviously been stung 4 times already ?

my appreciation to all that answer and comment in a respectful manner :)

Edited by sparey1, 02 August 2008 - 04:19 PM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

You get to buy a new retail version of XP. The Dell cd's are OEM and can ONLY be used on the systems they were purchased with. Even if the computer crashes and goes to the landfill, that cd can never be used on another computer again.

One of the negatives about buying name brand systems as all the cd's are like that.

BTW, did you check to make sure there were XP drivers available for your system as many manufacturers are now installing Vista only hardware in their computers. Also, you may be totally voiding the warranty by removing Vista and installing XP. Not sure you want to do that either.

Murray

sparey1

sparey1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for such a quick reply, its just a shame it was'nt better news on my behalf
I did check to see if the Drivers are available and yes they are, as for my warranty
I'm half in the mind of selling the computer if i cannot resolve getting back to my old fashioned way of doing
thing's :)
Its just half of my old software isnt even compatible with Vista, which i now know i should have checked before
purchasing but who would have honestly thought a newer version wouldn't be compatible with older versions of xp?
I mean come on Mr Gates haven't you already enough money?
Right i know this is posted in the Vista thread but How about this, What if i partition my drive and instal ubuntu, do any of you guys know if older software not being very specific that was compatible with xp is usable with ubuntu?