Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IEEE 802.1x Authorization Failed

• Please log in to reply

Coffeezone

Coffeezone

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Had a D-link DI-624 Router that died from a power hit. Network had: 1 XP Laptop, wireless(dlink card), 1 ancient W2000 laptop, wireless(dlink card), 2 HP Media Center Desktops (XP SP2, XP SP3), a Linux box, and a couple of ME desktops, and an HP Ethernet Printer...all working fine.

Got a D-Link DIR-615 router. After hours and hours, got the wireless laptops working, got one of the HP desktops working with a D-Link Wireless card), Linux box working.

However, I can't get the HP desktops working on the wired connection. My main computer, HP, SP3, continues to get Authorization Failed, no matter what combo I try. The Linux box connected and I can get the Dell XP Laptop connected on wire.

If I turn off IEEE 802.1x Authorization, it says limited or no connectivity. Have compared registry entries on laptop and desktop with nothing conclusive. The Destop had an EAPOL Enforcement entry pointing to eapolqec.dll (SP3). There are 8 total eap* dlls from SP3. Don't know if they are causing the problems or not. Removed the enforcement entry with no help.

Any ideas how I can set up the desktop to get authorized? I have the same certificate on the desktop as on the laptop that works wired, but it doesn't seem to see it or like it.

Any is the Dell 1720dm printer ever going to work? I can see nothing in the setup dealing with EAP. I set the router up for WEP 64Bit, as the previous router, which is allowing all wireless connections.

Thanks...after 48 hours fighting this, I am frustrated.

Ron

Edited by Coffeezone, 03 August 2008 - 11:25 AM.

Advertisements

Coffeezone

Coffeezone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ok. 48 hours wasn't enough time. It took 50 hours.

Went to a restore point before router died (and I made all the misc changes in registry, etc.), added my desktop to DHCP reservation list, by MAC, and it connected. Had tried that before, but it didn't work.

Since then, got all the old ME computers back online through a hub to the router. Wife's HP desktop lost the built in LAN card in the power hit, so took out her wireless card (signal only 60%), put in another LAN card and Voila, connected no problems, through the same hub.

Now the only thing left is to get the router to work with the ethernet port on the printer. Sees it, says it's there, but can't connect to it.

Don't really know why this caused me so much trouble, but it sure feels good to get everything back up.

Ron