Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer

• Please log in to reply

Jessicamrg

Jessicamrg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have and am currently using Windows 98. I do not have any Microsoft products installed on my computer, such as word, excel...etc. I keep getting this pop-up message when I access any program that says; Insert Microsoft Office XP Professional with Front Page Disk... I don't have that program on my computer and don't have a disk... Is there a download for it that I haven't found??? Because there are some programs on my computer that I cannot access because this isn't on there. I can't even use my printer because of it...

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Has anyone else used your computer, or was it used when you got it? Someone may have tried installing some XP programs on your win98 machine, which might be causing that error. Do you have an installation disk for 98, you may need it in case you have to do a reinstall or to set it back to factory settings.

Jessicamrg

Jessicamrg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I bought it used. I didn't get a windows 98 disc with it. I talked to the people I got it from, and they don't have it either. They also said that when they got it, it was new, and they haven't tried to download any XP programs. Is there any way to make it stop doing this without any discs?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Many times a win98 machine will have the complete installation files in a folder. They would be in a folder called win98 or in windows\options\cabs or install. You can use the search function and look for files of the .cab type, it will have about about 60 of them. If it does have them you can do a reinstall but you need to have the product key handy. You can install the Magic Jellybean Keyfinder or Belarc Adviser to find the product key, or you can get it using regedit. But that's only the start, you need a win98 boot floppy and you need to either move the files to the root of the drive and delete windows and program files, or burn the files to a disk and start them by opening setup.exe with the help of the boot floppy.

It's pretty complicated so if you know anyone who is well aquainted with win98 you might ask for help.