Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Card Installation

• Please log in to reply

Undertaker

Undertaker

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having trouble installing a 5.1 SoundBlaster card in my Compaq Presario the sound card in the PC and the 5.1 are totally different. Can I install the new card without taking out the old card? Or If I have to remove it how do I do it?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

My first question is does it have a sound card or onboard sound? If onboard sound you would have to disable it in bios, on boot at the compaq logo hit F1 or F10 ain't sure witch with that model. Then look around in bios for onboard sound or something of that nature and disable it.
Then save and exit let windows load and remove the drivers thru device manager.
Then shutdown and install the card following the instructions that came with it.

Rick

Undertaker

Undertaker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm not sure if it's onboard sound. But where the sound card goes in is just a small box about 3/4" long and wide. The sound card looks totally different than themy sound blaster card. I'm going to check the bios as you have suggested but if that doesn't work I'm sending it in to get cleanedout tomorrow I wil just have my comptech install it. tks Rick F