Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Password Flashdrive Protection....

• Please log in to reply

Trixxx

Trixxx

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I was wandering if anyone has a passord protecton program for the USB similar to the ones that come with many USB's like the SanDisk Cruzer has one I know, but I was wandering what products there are that when I put the flashdrive into the computer the login screen pops up. I have seen many products but they all require that you first install the program on the computer and I do not want such a program because at work I cannot install programs. I need one that is on the flashdrive only and prompts me to enter the password but does not require me to install the program for it to work!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The whole point of encryption software is that you unencrypt it with the program you used to encrypt it with, hence why you install that software on the computer. Different encryption methods are used in different programs, there is no catch all solution.

This may be worth a look if you have administrator privileges on the work computer which I doubt you do:
http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

Biometric Fingerprinting security techniques are available now but whether that's overkill for what you want is another matter.

Trixxx

Trixxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

The whole point of encryption software is that you unencrypt it with the program you used to encrypt it with, hence why you install that software on the computer. Different encryption methods are used in different programs, there is no catch all solution.

This may be worth a look if you have administrator privileges on the work computer which I doubt you do:
http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

Biometric Fingerprinting security techniques are available now but whether that's overkill for what you want is another matter.

I dont but I would like to have one that prompts me to enter a password when I put the USB in on ANY computer with out having to install anything or having to launch any applications!n And no I do not have Admin rights!

Edited by Trixxx, 05 August 2008 - 05:22 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I dont but I would like to have one that prompts me to enter a password when I put the USB in on ANY computer with out having to install anything or having to launch any applications!n And no I do not have Admin rights!

In which case for reasons I've already explained what you want to do is not going to be possible unless you take the matter up with the IT department of the company you work for.

Trixxx

Trixxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

In which case for reasons I've already explained what you want to do is not going to be possible unless you take the matter up with the IT department of the company you work for.

I am guessing that for this I am going to have to buy a flashdrive with it already on it because supposedly with U3 system already on it and there is a software program but it is only on the SanDisk USB products (cited by the link at the end of this post)! Supposedly for it to work properly certain drivers are needed:

"5. Can I use U3 on my regular USB flash drive
The U3 system software is pre-loaded to USB devices by the hardware manufacturer only and requires special flash drive controller. To enjoy the benefits of the U3 platform, you must buy a U3 smart drive, which is indicated by the U3 logo on the packaging and/or on the smart drive itself. You can find a list of U3 smart drives available from various manufacturers at [url="http://www.u3.com/smartdrives/default.aspx""]http://www.u3.com/smartdrives/default.aspx"[/url]

http://www.u3.com/su...efault.aspx#CQ5

P.S. I saw a guy at work using this and that is why I was trying to find a program similar because the ?U3 program works at work but oh well I guess I will just buy a new flashdrive!

Edited by Trixxx, 18 August 2008 - 05:38 PM.