Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows log in

• Please log in to reply

electrictman

electrictman

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello Everyone,I downloaded a patch for xp to reset my signon for the computer this is a microsoft download and it reset all of my signon's including the adminstrator. The system boots up to the XP sign on window and tells me to pick a name to sign on with. There is no name or box to pick to use to sign on with. When I click on Ctrl,Alt,Dle I get a sign on box that looks like a Admin signon, when I click on this it tells me that my account has been disabled to see the system admin. I have tried to use the safe mode but I get the same thing it will not boot up past the sign on window and allow me to get into the system. I tried to go into system repair with my OS CD but I do not know enough about the system to click on anything and change it also I tried to reload XP with my OS CD and not change anything but it did not work either it just boots back up to the sign on window . Does anyone know how to get around the security set up so I can get into the system so that I do not have to reformatt and loose what I have? Thanks for your help

Edited by electrictman, 04 August 2008 - 06:37 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Mind if I see a link to this "patch"?

electrictman

electrictman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I cannot show you that it was off of the Window up date site and it was supposed to reset all of the signons ( like my childrens ) and I believe just leave the adminstrators active so that no one could get on the computer except the admin. But it has reset everything and after windows boots up there is no where for me to sign onto the computer. Thanks for your help

Edited by electrictman, 05 August 2008 - 01:56 PM.

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Hi there, We can't help you get around the security settings - although your request may be legitimate we have no way of telling that over the internet, but let's see what is possible.

Can you tell me, do you mean when you click on a user account on the 'Welcome' screen, it just reboots rather than going to the desktop? Or are you being prompted for a password that you don't have?

Edited by Mike, 06 August 2008 - 07:58 AM.

electrictman

electrictman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The computer boots up and it says "windows is booting up" then it goes thrugh the boot sequence when it is finished the blue window for xp opens and it says "welcome to windows xp sign in and you can change any of your settings just click on any name and sign in" BUT there are no names or boxes for me to sign in on the screen is blank except for the welcome to XP. There is no where or nothing for me to click on so how do you sign in? When I bring the computer up in the safe mode it goes through the motions of opening in the safe mode but then it boots up to the xp screen whithout any where to sign on. When I press control alt delete my administrator box with my initials comes up and it tells me that the account has been turned off to see my administrator. When I try to sign on as the admin it tells me that I cannot. SO how do you get around this without reformatting? I have a bunch of pictures on the computer that I do not want to loose. Thanks for your help.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Reformatting may be your only option. There are ways to recover your data prior to reformatting. My recommendation would be a Puppy Linux live CD: http://www.puppylinu...-linux-40-dingo.

When you boot the from the CD there will be an icon on the desktop labeled mount. You will need to mount your HDD and the media that you are backing up to (such as a external HDD). Whenever you mount the devices a file explorer should come up allowing you to copy and paste your files.

I can't stress enough how important regular backups are when dealing with data you don't want to lose.

electrictman

electrictman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks everyoine for your help I did finally reformatt the system and got it back up and working. I have also learned how to back up the system and I have done so now that the OS is working again. Thanks again for your suggestions and help.