Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update Errors!

• Please log in to reply

ScittS

ScittS

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Upon a clean formatted install of Windows XP W/SP3 and all the previous shown updates. I now get an Error Code: 0x80244019 during installation of Security update for flash player(KB923789) :) The other files don't give a specific error. I did notice that they all have a file size of "0" zero!

Windows Update says the following are downloaded and ready to install but it won't ever finish them. :)

Windows Media Player 11
Security Update for Flash Player (KB923789)
Root Certificates Update
Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157)

Any ideas on what might be causing this? :)

I've tried turning firewall/anti-virus off. I've tried ATF-Cleaner to dump temporary folders. I've even manually deleted everything in I.E. through the Internet Properties. I would appreciate help. Thankx

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
http://software.hitoma.com/WURT/ should be of interest.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I ran into this exact problem last week. Here is the fix, method 2 is the one that worked. You need to use the command line a little.

http://support.micro...kb/943144/en-us

It's caused by an interference between the new installer and sp3. If you install the new installer and then try to run sp3, or do a repair with the XP disk, without rebooting the system first, certain registry entries will be removed and the installer won't be able to install already downloaded updates.

This is going to be a very big problem for people, until MS fixes it, and is worthy of a sticky.

Edited by Tyger, 06 August 2008 - 05:56 PM.

ScittS

ScittS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
:) Thank You Tyger that fix worked perfectly!! I never would have figured it out without your help. Much appreciated :) .