Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard disk error

• Please log in to reply

midtown1

midtown1

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok quick question..everytime i turn on my comp. or reboot it, is says something like..."Diskette drive A error, Press <F1> to setup, <F2> to resume.

Then when i press F2, another black screen comes on stating, "SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 1: SAMSUNG SV8004H- (PS), Warning: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent. Press F1 to continue"

Any suggestions anyone?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It means exactly what it says. If your system is worth repairing get a boxed name brand hard drive of reasonable size which should come with a software disk that lets you clone the drive and includes very clear instructions. Or if you have a good hard drive sitting around you may be able to use free cloning software or download the software from the HD maker.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
With what you have given, I suspect that your computer is set to boot first from the floppy. It can't find 1 so it errors out. Do you have a floppy drive? No , then maybe the bios is set to look for a floppy.

The other problem is more serious. The SMART diagnostics built into most new drives is detecting an imminent failure. Get the drive replaced. You can clone it and get running fairly quickly. Back up your data ASAP.

Backup first. You can also try running chkdsk c:/r from a dos prompt. This will attempt to repair errors on the drive, but it might be to far gone.

Also, wait for other responses to get more ideas on these issues.

midtown1

midtown1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok so what should i do first....and how can i get it cloned?