Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Dimension 8400 Load Problems

• Please log in to reply

ant7783

ant7783

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I am troubleshooting my gf familys computer right now. When you turn the system on you get the following message

Drive 1 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-1
Drive 2 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-2
Drive 3 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-3
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

Any idea on what could be causing this problem. When I hit the F1 key to continue it loads windows to the user select screen. From there you can select a user and then when it displays the text loading personal settings it freezes at that point

I am able to get it to load into safe mode though

Edited by ant7783, 06 August 2008 - 05:28 PM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well often sata drives start at sata 0 so it sounds like it is either seeing sata 0 or that the computer has an ide drive that it is gooting off of...

if it will go into safe mode but not windows then the first thing that comes to mind is either a bad install of either hard ware or software or maybe some malware or a corrupt startup program.... you could try using the f8 start and selecting last known good boot. Also what was the last thing done before she started having trouble?

ant7783

ant7783

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Now today after trying to use the F8 key and loading the last working configuration, I received a [WRIT] error. What does this error mean

Also loading the last working configuration did not work

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
will it go to safe mode from the f8 boot? it kind of sounds like the hard drive may be dying... back up anything important or have some one do it for you...

ant7783

ant7783

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
It will boot into safe mode. Now the original problem is gone and now when I get to the windows user select screen I get the popup saying an error with loading lsass.exe. When I click ok the computer just restarts.

I ran the sasser worm tool and nothing came up. Also the location of the lsass.exe file is only located in the windows\system32 folder

JCanose

JCanose

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I am troubleshooting my gf familys computer right now. When you turn the system on you get the following message

Drive 1 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-1
Drive 2 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-2
Drive 3 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-3
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

Any idea on what could be causing this problem. When I hit the F1 key to continue it loads windows to the user select screen. From there you can select a user and then when it displays the text loading personal settings it freezes at that point

I am able to get it to load into safe mode though

I'm just started having the same problem last night @ 1am. Not a happy camper. I have three drives, one main one for software and the OS, then two other 500gbs for music and movies. Tried just about everything from disabling the other SATA drives and just usng the original boot drive but same thing. Even tried to use the boot disc and also tried to reinstall Windows but no luck. Any ideas?? :)

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
ant7783
sorry for the delay but I've been rather busy as of late and lost track of this post... well the things that come to mind are that you may have a virus or your hard drive is starting to die on you you could get the software from the manufacturer of the drive and try that... it's also possible that it is the controller/motherboard but without something to test that....

JCanose
you should really start your own thread... you'll tend to get better response.... if you want you can post a link referencing this post but that way we don't have to split responses and people will see that you need help and not think that you just posted to help him.....