Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ClamTK claims these might be viruses...but are they?

• Please log in to reply

silent_n0va

silent_n0va

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I scanned my computer with ClamTK and it came up with four files that "may" be viruses, but I'm unsure:

Found 4 possible viruses (202920 files scanned).

/sys/slab/ 0000320/slab_size
/windows/Program Files/Adobe/Acro... Files number limit exceeded
/var/log/gdm/ 0.log.3
/var/lib/ucf/cache/ etc
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It looks like only one of those entries are on a Windows partition. Viruses are nothing to worry about in Linux.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

It looks like only one of those entries are on a Windows partition. Viruses are nothing to worry about in Linux.

Not true.
Windows is targeted more because 99% of PCs have some form of Windows on them. You just see less virii for Linux than you would for Windows, it doesn't mean they don't exist.
It's like if you run a shop, you buy stuff to sell and if something isn't selling you don't buy more of it just to fill a space up on the shelf, you buy something else that will sell.
Likewise if you write a virus that you want spread all over the Internet for months to come, you don't target it at Linux, you target it at Windows.

silent_n0va

silent_n0va

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Last I checked, there are around 100 viruses written specifically for Linux, but they can't execute unless you unwittingly run them as root.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I am well aware the viruses do exist in Linux. I have studied how viruses and exploits work in every OS. The thing is that your likelihood of getting one is nearly non-existent. I would even go as far as to say you would probably be a direct target. The reason for this was stated by both neil and silent.

This is why my statement was "nothing to worry about" and not "linux viruses don't exist".

This is also why there is around 4-5 A/V programs for Linux and an uncountable number for Windows. They all are primarily used to scan for Windows viruses in a production server environment.

Lastly. a virus in Linux is much harder to "hide" without all the overhead that a Windows box has.

Edited by Titan8990, 08 August 2008 - 03:17 PM.