Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow internet connection... just all of the sudden. Help.

• Please log in to reply

The_Mastermind

The_Mastermind

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
One day when using my computer, I was getting a slow internet connection all of the sudden. When I go to watch streaming YouTube videos, none of the videos load the buffering all the way and most only get to like 5% buffering... no more than that. and when i try to download files... it is slow. i tried to download the setup file for mozzila firefox, it said it would take about 2 hours and 17 minutes to download!! i used to be able to download that file in like 10 seconds... i have Comcast Cable high speed internet by the way... just directly connecting to my router and into a modem.

I did an entire computer scan with AVG Free, that didn't fix it. I reformat my whole computer, that didn't fix the problem. I reset my router and modem, that didn't fix it. I checked my mom's internet connection on her computer... and it runs PERFECTLY. she is running off the same router and connected to the same modem as me, too.

So I just don't know what the problem is... I know my internet connection is soddered together through the phone jack in my room... but it has always worked up til now...

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by The_Mastermind, 06 August 2008 - 10:15 PM.

Advertisements

Mobious

Mobious

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Based on the troubleshooting steps that you have already performed, I think that the issue may be with your network adapter.

How is your mom's computer connected to your router?
Can you have your computer use a different network connection? So that we could isolate the issue further.

The_Mastermind

The_Mastermind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
well i have the connection running straight to the motherboard connection. i am using a dell dimension 3000 with all integrated stuff. i could connect to an external network card though if you want me to.. that will take a little while though

and my mom's internet works perfectly... all downloads are fast and smooth... everything is smooth.

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
maybe try taking your pc to where your moms is and connect it up and plug the network cable she uses into your pc and see if its any different. if not then it probably is your network card and you'll have to go buy a new one.

The_Mastermind

The_Mastermind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thank you so much. i got a new network card and everything is very fast and smooth now. thanks!