Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer Language Problem

• Please log in to reply

ApolloGod

ApolloGod

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm an IT intern at a small motor-making company, and today one of my tasks was to migrate a user to a new laptop. This is usually a simple task, but this guy was running the Chinese version of Windows XP (he's our correspondent with China).

At some point in the past he managed to get Firefox installed on his old laptop and he used that religiously. Per company policy, his new laptop is configured to run IE7. I transfered over his bookmarks but found that on his new laptop, under IE and a US version of Windows XP, the bookmarks showed up as random ASCII characters, instead of the Chinese that they should be. I enabled each of the Chinese language packs under Tools > Internet Options > Languages, but to no avail.

Any help would be great

Alex

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
on his old laptop, I would export the bookmarks from firefox. then I would import them into ie on the old laptop. once imported, try coping the favorites folder from his profile over to the new system.

now that you have the language packs installed, you could copy the bookmarks folder over, then import via ie7's import feature. If that doesn't work, he may go back to using firefox.

you may also have to install the language packs for the operating system