Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System protection

• Please log in to reply

pkGeeks

pkGeeks

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have DELL1530, 2.2GHz, 4GB laptop running on Vista Home Premium with preinstalled McAfee.

Recently this this was infected by braviax.exe/vundo from some rapidshare file (portable tuneup utilities) and I need to factory reset my laptop.

--1. Now please advice the best protections (antispyware, firewall etc), preferably freeware, that should be installed to prevent such hazard.
--2. It will be great if u can provide a step -by - step "how-to" to back up systems (with some essential s/w that i hav installed ) to bootable DVD and the retoration process.

Advertisements

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

I have DELL1530, 2.2GHz, 4GB laptop running on Vista Home Premium with preinstalled McAfee.

Recently this this was infected by braviax.exe/vundo from some rapidshare file (portable tuneup utilities) and I need to factory reset my laptop.

--1. Now please advice the best protections (antispyware, firewall etc), preferably freeware, that should be installed to prevent such hazard.
--2. It will be great if u can provide a step -by - step "how-to" to back up systems (with some essential s/w that i hav installed ) to bootable DVD and the retoration process.

Hey pkGeeks!

I'm not sure if you have already, but I'd like to warn from Factory Restoring your laptop, as doing so will reset all settings (loose all files, folders, etc) and the system will restore to the state at which you bought it. Generally, Dell's system restore combination is CTRL + 11 when the computer boots up.

Now, answering your questions:
1) This has been discussed in great detail here at GeeksToGo, and many conversations had to be ended. But to answer your question, its a matter of what you feel is best. Geting someone else's feedback on something you don't enjoy using will only cause further issues. However, I can list some of the top Antivirus/Spyware utlities in the market...
-> AVG
-> ZoneAlarm
-> CA
-> McAfee
-> TrendMicro
-> Vipre **NEW**
-> Ashampoo

From here, its a matter of speculation. Personally, I enjoy using ZoneAlarm and AVG on my computers (NOT AT THE SAME TIME!!) AVG is probably one of the more/most popular FREE antivirus.

2) Well, if you want to back up your system... I suggest you use the Backup utility created in Windows. However, this would not solve your issue because once you restore back to the image created, you'll probably still have the malware. I DO suggest that you copy/backup your documents that you use on a daily basis or you know you use. (My Documents) as well as a snapshot of what programs you have installed so you can reinstall them when the computer is restored.

To backup:
a) Insert a blank disk into your CD/DVD-RW drive (or you can use a Flash Drive)
b) Copy the necessary files onto the CD(s)
c) Finalize the disk

To Snapshot:
a) Go to : Start>Control Panel>Add Remove Programs
b) Press PrtSc to gather a snapshot.
c) Paste all the shots inside a word document -or- you can save them individually in Paint.

I hope this helped!

Regards,