Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backdoor.Win32.Hupigon.dckd [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

indep

indep

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Can anyone please help,

kapersky anti-virus tells me it deleted this spyware. I still suffer contant 'computer freeze' when keystrokes and mouse do not register. Occasionally there is a constant beep tone with it (no breaks in the tone). I can only reboot. I also have bottom bar icon in a red cross telling me Kaperski is OFF and to click on it to restore. This is false info and I have not followed this advice because I believe it is a virus.

A few days ago I had F secure (before changing, due to expiry, to Kapersky. This also showed the same Hupigon infection, which I deleted at the time. For these reasons I believe it hibernates in the system and attempts to re-enter.

I have run free Spy Bot and Adaware systems and Spy Bot was the last scan to spot it and destroy it. I have not had it ID'd on any scan since. Most scans freeze uip and I have to keep retrying. I believe it is in the system. Can you please advise how I can finally kill it off?

Indep

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello indep,

Please go to this link and follow the guides for self help first. :)

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

You will see that if you have to come back you will need to post a HijackThis log.

Regards
emeraldnzl

indep

indep

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thankyou Emeraldnzl,

I'm afraid I was in a bit of a panic at the time I sent it and was rushing too much to read the process. After posting I noticed that I needed to do the Hijac This scan. I have done this before wqith a friend at the end of the line. I did the same last night and found no suspicious items. Scans are telling me the same. . .even in safe mode. The shut down problems I am getting must be a component problem and I am going to have to pay for a diagnostic check I think.

I will keep this enquiry open while I monitor with Hijack this scans in case a new item turns up and suggests there is a 'background virus'

Thankyou for your time

gavin

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello indep,

It might be worth checking out the scans available at the link I provided; for example Malwarebytes.

Also if it is a technical problem you could try the Tech section here. The one appropriate for your operating system.

Good luck

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello again indep,

Further to my last post.

In terms of prevention of infection.

Here are some things I think are worth having a look at:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check your Java; quite often people find there edition is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JDK) Update and save it to your desktop or the folder you usually download to.
  • Scroll down to where it says "The Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Read the License Agreement and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement". The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save the file to your desktop or Download folder.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop or Download folder double-click on the Java exe to install the newest version.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check your Adobe Acrobat Reader; it may be out of date. Older versions are vunerable to attack.

Please go to the link below to update.

http://www.adobe.com.../readstep2.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be sure and give the Temp folders a cleaning out now and then. This helps with security and your computer will run more efficiently. I clean mine once a week. For ease of use, you might consider one of the following free programs:Note for Ccleaner users: Unless you are an expert ensure that the Advanced Option section is not checked . By default this is the case but look, just to make sure. Also it is generally not necessary to run the registry clean option (use of registry cleaners is a notorious source of computer problems) but if you do, ensure you click "yes" to the back up option, before cleaning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A great way to check that your Microsoft and Java have the latest updates is to go to Software Inspector at Secunia.

I do this weekly. Not only do they tell you which programs need updating but they give you the link to follow.

To bolster your security go to Secunia.com to ensure essential programs are up to date.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make Internet Explorer more secure
  • Click Start > Run
  • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
  • Click on the Security tab
  • Click Reset all zones to default level
  • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
  • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
  • Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
* MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites and other bad sites. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer, meaning it will be difficult to infect yourself in the future.

* Consider using an alternate browser. Mozilla's Firefox browser is excellant; it is much more secure than Internet Explorer, immune to almost all known browser hijackers, and also has the best built-in pop up blocker (Note: this as an added benefit!) that I have seen. Firefox is my default browser but I retain Internet Explorer as well so that I can access the very few sites that require it.

Firefox may be downloaded from Here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help protect your computer in the future here are some free programs you can look at:

• SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users to detect and remove spyware.
  • IESpy-Ad to block access to malicious websites so you cannot be redirected to them from an infected site or email.
You should also have a good firewall. Here is a free one available for personal use:and a good antivirus (these are also free for personal use):It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

If your Microsoft Update is not working automatically. Keep your operating system up to date by visiting monthly. And to keep your system clean run these free malware scanners
weekly, and be aware of what emails you open and websites you visit.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this article by Tony Klein: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Have a safe and happy computing day!

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.