Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Discs problem

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Am experiencing discs cracking (so far just game discs) and I am very careful about handling and storing of same. The crack appears to start at the middle and run towards the edge if this means anything

I do notice that the discs are very hot when ejected from CDRom. Have been told that this is natural by other PC people friends. So am inquiring here if this is true or my CDRom needs replacing perhaps.

Advertisements

ShortGirl2

ShortGirl2

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
So are the discs cracking when you are using them? If they are coming out VERY hot, you may either have a problem with your CD drive, or you may want to check your fans to ensure that they are both working properly. There are programs that you can download, some of them even free, that will allow you to check your PC temp.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Had a tech in not long ago and he claims fans were working quite well + also have a tiny clip on fan that I have outside of my PC aimed at the 'innards' to make sure all is well. Was advised this by one tech along the way.

Will look around for a program that tells temp of PC - have been wanting that for some time.

I live in the boonies and getting competent PC help is an iffy thing. Either people portray themselves as experts when they really are not OR people are out to gouge you big time and sometimes even then they do not know PCs well.

So when I go to do something, replace something want to learn as much about it before hand so I can oppose, argue or go along with what some tech here tells me.:)

Am not sure when they are cracking but do notice such when I am using them. One disc was from Riven and another from Tex Murphy Pandora game.