Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Start Bar

• Please log in to reply

katkatkat

katkatkat

• Pip
  • 9 posts
So I was fiddling around with the positioning of the language bars and the 'quick launch' icons a few months ago, and now those icons have shifted to the left hand side, right up next to the start button and its stuck there. I've tried moving it around with those 'dotted-lines-that-help-shift-the-quick-launch-icons' but it doesnt work. Sorry I'm not very technical. :)

It also doesnt display any of the windows that I have open, so I'm using Alt+Tab for a while now; but I'd really like to have the Start Bar back.

Do you know how to get it back to default or something?

Thanks so much (:

I'll post a picture soon.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
From Kelly's corner,

To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

117. Restore Taskbar and Start Menu

As Said, Save the above file to your hard drive. I use a folder I made on the "C" drive called Downloads and have a sub folder called XP. I put all files used to fix XP there.

There are also a cou[ple of VBS files to do something similar. You must have any AV turned off to run the VBS files. Look for the 164 file and the right side file on the 195 row.

http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

Please let us know what happens.

SRX660

katkatkat

katkatkat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm not sure what a VBS file is and how do I turn off AV? (what is it?)

So sorry. I've downloaded the first file, but not sure what you mean by the next steps.

thanks so much (:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
VBS(Visual Basic Script) files are stripped down files made similar to the Microsoft Visual Basic programming language. The difference is a VB can be a stand alone executable program while VBS needs files in the Windows operating system for it to work. VBS files are plain text files saved with a vbs file extension. the vbs extension tells Windows to run the file as an executable.

To execute a vbs file just find it in windows and double click on it.When you download any files it is good to always havew a single place to download them to. For that reason i always make a folder under "C" i call downloads to put all downloads in. I always know where to look for them this way.

AV just means ANTI-VIRUS. If you are running a anti-virus you must turn it off to run the vbs scripts because the AV will think they are viruses.

On the #117 file , it is a reg file and should have been saved with a reg file extension. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

You do not have to try all three files. Try them one at a time with reboots after each one is double clicked and then see if your taskbar has been fixed.

SRX660