Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

169 ip address

• Please log in to reply

Chase Marshall

Chase Marshall

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. in our house we have 2 computers one is running on windows xp and the other is on vista now up until about a week ago the xp laptop was able to access the internet with no problem now it stopped being able to get on the internet and said it had 169 ip address. Now the vista is connected to the same wireless network and has no problems.

I looked through the furoms for answers and tried ipconfig/release ipconfig/renew but still nothing.
So we took it to Geek Squad and they said that it might have a virus which I really dont think is the case.

I also tried calling Comcast our ISP and they said the 169 ip address was caused by an "outdated adaper"
I cant think of anything else to do,so any help is greatly appreiciated

If you need to know anything else concerning the XP laptops adapter and such please ask

Thank You

Edited by Chase Marshall, 11 August 2008 - 09:06 AM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I'd like to see some more information. Please follow the steps below.
  • Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "cmd".
  • A black box will appear. Type in: "ipconfig /all".
  • A lot of information will appear, Please right click the black window and hit mark.
  • Select every line of text you recieved and hit "enter" to copy.
  • Then paste it into your next reply.

Regards,
Olrik

Chase Marshall

Chase Marshall

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok will do Ill have it up soon. stinkin Geek Squad still has it.