Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can I upgrade from Win ME to 2000?

• Please log in to reply

funnybone

funnybone

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello:

I need to interface an old Pentium II computer with the newer USB connected printers.

Both Lexmark and HP want Windows 2000. ..not Windows ME.

I am noticing conflicting information as to whether Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Upgrade MS WIN PRO [an eBay listing] will upgrade from ME to 2000, or not.

one eBay vendor says specifically that it won't--which I would tend to believe, more than the one who says it will, because of the human assumption, factor.

I've been hearing for years, how lousy an opperating system ME is--but I have not had any trouble with it since I got hooked up with a free antivirus program, from the web.

Ironically, now that I have a reason to upgrade to a newer version, I don't find the way to do it.

As to why I would prefer 2000 to XP: I hear glowing reports of the XP version, yet the XP in my Toshiba Satelite laptop, jams up about 4 times a day just shuffling photos from one folder to another.

Maybe I am the only fool to be running ME. ..but how have the rest of you negotiated the transition?

I have heard of "double-booting", yet the local computer shark wants me to believe that I cannot have another hard drive with Windows 2000 in it, that I could save all new creations in, and boot from, and just keep my old ME drive for archive. He says that there is an issue with the mother board in doing this. ..but he also wants to sell me a new computer. any feedback to this?

I have a Pentium II, 350 MHz processor with 128 Mb RAM.

Thanks,
J.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Straight from Microsoft concerning Windows 2000 upgrade paths..

Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me)
No supported upgrade paths

Basically, what that means is that you will need to install with a full install version.

Murray

funnybone

funnybone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you so much for a simple answer!!!

Had I seen the answer, I would not have known that no upgrade path, meant, NO, it won't work. But I didn't even get that far. ..

So, thanks, again.
J.