Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Problems

• Please log in to reply

nyychick2

nyychick2

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have had virus issues with my Vista before and recently the clock on my desktop keeps going slower than actual time and the date also keeps changing to a previous date. I keep resetting both the date and time, but it seems to keep going back to some other time and day.

Also Firefox keeps freezing and takes a really long to open sometimes.

I was wondering if there are ways to fix these problems. Thank you.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
There is a small watch battery on your motherboard that keeps a small amount of electricity running through the computer, even when the computer is off. Among other things, this power keeps the clock running. If the battery is dead, the clock will reset every time the computer is turned off, because there's no more power going through the computer to keep that clock running.

I would open up your computer, look for that battery on the motherboard, take it to a battery shop (or even a supermarket) and get a new one; I bet you'll have no more problems with your clock.

Regarding Firefox - it sounds like an addon may be acting up. Let's try running Firefox without any addons and see if you are still having problems. Go to the start menu, and in the "Start Search" box type in "run" and press Enter. Then type in "firefox -safe-mode" and press Enter. If it tells you that it can't find the program, type in this instead to the Run box.
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode
and press Enter. Click the "Continue in Safe Mode" button and see if your Firefox will freeze or hang.

nyychick2

nyychick2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Would it harm my computer, if I didn't fix the battery?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Yes, pretty soon your computer will start crying out in agony every time you turn it on and off... :)

Actually no, but by replacing the battery, it just might fix your time and date issues. If you aren't confident in doing it yourself, a local computer shop will do it for you. Since it's an easy job, and the batteries are cheap, I wouldn't pay any more than $10 for it to be done.

Troy

Scott Mead

Scott Mead

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

I had a computer where the battery died and I never replaced it, unless you plan on leaving it running 24/7 and never shutting down or restarting or 'cutting' the power to the computer you will be fine. Just gets annoying when everytime you boot up and you have to re-setup the bios and set the clock and date. That computers battery was actually soddered to the board which is why I never replaced it.