Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP 5610 Printer Reinstall problem

• Please log in to reply

ProEd

ProEd

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Summary.... I have a Dell Dimension 4550 Tower PC, currently running on XP SP2, w/ an HP (K80) 5610 All In One printer. I set up the PC in Mar. 2003, installed XP SP 2 in Nov. 2004 & the HP 5610 printer in Jan. 2008. All worked well together, until recently. I am religious about updating AV/protection software & MS updates weekly.

In recent weeks I have encountered HP's Document Viewer attempting to install at boot up. Not sure why, never happened before. The only recent software change I have made is an update to Spybot S&D's current software and the latest Adaware freeware software.

An MS install window appears stating that a ....MSI file can't be found, "install the installation CD". I install the HP CD, same result. I am able to stop this repeated install attempt only by "End Now" with Task Manager.

Googling on the web for help I found numerous suggestions that matched those in my HP printer manual. So, I followed the HP manual instructions uninstalling and reinstalling the printer software. Windows Installer now tells me it can't find the software for my printer, though the installation CD is in the CD drive. Windows also says it can't find the software on the web.

Bottom line; the printer worked fine before uninstalling/reinstalling the HP software. Now Windows installer says it can't find the software to connect the printer.

Dazed & confused. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Happy trails.... Ed

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
So were you able to successfully uninstall the printer? If so, for reinstallation, I would recommend bypassing the CD altogether, and grab the drivers and software (if you want the software) from HP's website.