Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer "cannot display the web page" message

• Please log in to reply

wasilla

wasilla

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I am running XP sp2 with Internet Explorer 7. For the last month or so, when I'm surfing online, I often get the message INTERNET EXPLORER CANNOT DISPLAY THE WEB PAGE. If I hit refresh, 75% of the time (the page I was trying to get to) will load. It seems to happen mainly if it is an interactive type page...one that I have typed info into or clicked on a link to access another page. These are pages that I've been going to for years, so I know they are good pages.

Could this be modem related? I am operating on a 56K dial up modem. I am curious because of the ability to correct the problem (most of the times) by hitting refresh. I have run antivirus (OK) antispyware (OK). This is most frustrating.

Advertisements

bombasos2

bombasos2

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
I think this issue is due to your 56k modem. :)
I would say this is a time-out issue that gives you a DNS error but is very common for dial-up. Most likely your modem is dropping in speed and causing the issue. When you hit refresh you happen to catch the modem on a better speed plus you may already may have some of the information cached on your browser from the previous attempt to access it. It may though take a couple of tries.

I think the only things you can do to fix this issue is to lessen the amount of programs that have open access to the internet with a firewall and to clear your browsers cookies, cache, etc only when necessary so that you may have as much information as possible from the websites you visit. One other thing would be to flush your DNS cache to start with a clean slate.

1. Access command prompt. Start-run-cmd
2. Type ipconfig /flushdns and then hit enter.

Good luck and I hope that helps you to some degree.