Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

One computer outed by new network setup

• Please log in to reply

John M.

John M.

• Pip
  • 1 posts
We have ben having troubles with both the wireless router and the cable modem. So I finally got a tech person from my ISP to fix the modem and help configure what needed to be configured to establish a new wireless router that I had just purchased to fix the problem of the faulty wireless router. I bought a Netgear Rangemax. When they were done, my internet speeds were phenomenally better. Of course, this was for the wired computer that was in the same room as the router. I then tried the wireless by heading to the other side of the house on my Macbook Pro. It connected perfectly and it is what I am using to write this post.

Now, to the problem. I have an HP Media Center PC m8020n. It refuses to connect to the internet. If it is not dropping the connection to NETGEAR, it is only showing a local connection that has no internet access. It also says that the connection is really low when it does say that it has internet connection. When it says it has internet connection, I go to the Internet Browser and nothing shows up. Shortly after the connection will update and show only local again and sometimes it will drop out. I am really confused about it because I tested the connection with my Macbook at a distance much greater than the HP's distance, so it can't be the distance. Unless having the PC in a cabinet/desk combo can block the connection THAT much.

The computer is using Vista.

Advertisements