Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building new Gaming computer on a bugdet ( kinda )

• Please log in to reply

killemall2425

killemall2425

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello there , I need to replace my current pice and build a new one ASAP , my budgent would be around 1300 for the cpu , gonna keep my current mouse, keyboard, etc , So I just need the new cpu , this is what I've picked so far, let me know what yall think

Case : NZXT LEXA-NP Black/ Silver Aluminum Construction Plastic Front Panel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Hard Drive : Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Video Card : EVGA 01G-P3-N891-AR GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB (512MB per GPU) 512-bit (256-bit per GPU) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Power Supply : OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ATX12V

RAM : OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR10664

Motherboard : ASUS Maximus II Formula LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel

Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core

Thats a total of 1257 , any thoughts? Did I miss something ? Im gonna be running vista 64 bit

Advertisements

jorgehevia

jorgehevia

• Pip
  • 5 posts
TR's Summer 2008 system guide
Recommendations for building the right enthusiast's PCs

I found that page full of useful recommendations. Hope you find something too.

As for cutting down the price of your build, maybe using dual-core 3.0Ghz instead of a quad-core 2.4Ghz can give better gaming results for a bit less money. Even chosing a more economical motherboard with cheaper ddr2-800 memory(with tight timings though!) won't reflect in a significant fps decrease in games. Also latest ATI card builds seem to give slightly more performance for your money (but the 9800gx2 sure kicks a$$ anyway :) ).

What i mentioned above were just some thoughts and minor details, but your build seems very nice to me. I'd say the room to increase the price/performance of your build is very small.

Edited by jorgehevia, 12 August 2008 - 08:45 PM.

killemall2425

killemall2425

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I dont really need to decrease the price, Im still 50 dollars under my budget, I could still upgrade something :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You could upgrade that Q6600 to a new Yorkfield...