Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help my son

• Please log in to reply

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I bought me a computer so I gave him mine. Both computers were working fine.
In his, I took out the hd and put in a different one (the one that was in mine). I then put in his old DVD rom from his other computer.
He took it downstairs, hooked it up and no sound nor internet. So I cant even go on line with it to try to find the drivers as now the PCI modem isn't working either. The DVD player works fine, but no sound, no sound detected.
We have gone through all the disks I have trying to find the disk to the sound card and do not have one.

The computer is a Gateway, actually both are.

Serial number of the computer is question is 0032036975 (this is the old one of his, but they are alike, but not identical)
Model number is
MATXHRN MDW DB-4100-A PC

The old computer of his that I am getting these numbers off of is an E 4100, the one I gave him is an E 2000

Can you help me, I have been at this for 2 weeks.
Thanks,
Samantha

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
All Downloads Gateway products

http://support.gatew...s...g=2&Tab=All

if you don’t have access to the net use a friends computer to download the drivers to a disk
or USB pendrive and install them on your computer.

Edited by peter99, 13 August 2008 - 08:42 AM.

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Nothing downloads

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Correct me if I am wrong. I am trying to understand.

Did you swap hard drives from 1 computer to the other?
If so, this generally meets with disaster because the old OS/ drive has drivers from the old board. The new board will usually be different.

You are probably missing the board drivers.

Have you gone here? as suggested?

GATEWAY

if you don’t have access to the net use a friends computer to download the drivers to a disk
or USB pendrive and install them on your computer.

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Yes, I took out my hd from my computer and put in his computer. Took out the cd rom and put in his old DVD rom.

Yes, I went to that site to download, but there was nothing to download, it just kept going back to the other page.

Anyway, I fixed it.

I clicked on all the yellow ? and unistalled all of them. Took the Drivers cd that came with our old computers and rebooted the computer after uninstall and it reinstalled them.

He now has sound and can play his star trek games without getting destroyed...lol And now he will finally leave me alone.

Thanks for your help though.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Glad you got it fixed. That was what we were attempting. Should have asked the question "do you have the driver cd?"
That was the simplest way (having the cd)

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

We have gone through all the disks I have trying to find the disk to the sound card and do not have one

thats why i put the link in to the web site for downloads

Edited by peter99, 14 August 2008 - 05:19 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Peter99

We have gone through all the disks I have trying to find the disk to the sound card and do not have one

Curious as to where you got this from because it is not in any of the posts. In fact in post 5, computer_idiot states

I clicked on all the yellow ? and unistalled all of them. Took the Drivers cd that came with our old computers and rebooted the computer after uninstall and it reinstalled them.

He now has sound and can play his star trek games without getting destroyed...lol And now he will finally leave me alone.

Thanks for your help though.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
first post line 6

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
no problem. Cant catch them all.

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

thats why i put the link in to the web site for downloads

But that link you gave me is the same thing I looked at yesterday and there is nothing to download. It takes you to another page with an arrow, if you give on the download it doesn't do anything, if you click on the read me it goes back to the first page.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
I've just click on the link (post 2) and got this page (first picture)

go through the steps 1 to 4 (second picture)

to download drivers

Edited by peter99, 15 August 2008 - 03:29 AM.