Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reinstalling danger !

• Please log in to reply

jude

jude

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello!

well the thing is that right now i have 2 OS' ,windows 98 on my C drive and windows 2003 on my D drive ,the thing is i wanto reinstall win98 on my C drive after formatting it ,but i've heard that if i install or try to install 98 the software will detect a higher version of windows (the 2003) and thus i'll have to remove that from the D drive (i don't know if i'll have to format that also) and be left with nothing!! is this really true? and if so what should i do and i should i go about reinstalling win 98 ,i hope i've made myself clear ! <_<

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
do you have one harddrive partition in to two or do you have two harddrives one master and one slave?
<_<

kimblehyde

kimblehyde

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Format both drives and do a clean boot and install and repartion the drive with fdisk. this will take care of all problems. if you don't you may crash down the road with the 2 os's conflicting. My choice upgrade to XP. If your system will not take it Upgrade to Windows 2000. I like 98SE if you install all the packs to keep it from getting hijack on the net.

jude

jude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
HI!!
there were no major problems ,i just upgraded my win98 (the first one) with the 98SE ,it installed pretty fine ,so does that mean if i just upgrade OS' no conflict of operating systems take place
tazz,
i have one HDD partitioned c&d c-98 ,d-2003

kimblehyde

kimblehyde

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
are you wanting to use both operating systems if not and your only wanting to use 2003 and it is on the d: partition you can set you computer to boot from the d: drive but i recommend that you remove everything and set it back up on the c drive since most computer see this as the primary boot drive. when you upgrade yes it reconfigures everything and gets rid of the old if you want it to. XP is the way to gol if you really want to improve speed, reliability, and not have any problems.

Hope this helps