Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer turns itself off for no apparent reason.

• Please log in to reply

LionelPagan

LionelPagan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok i just bought a new computer and its custom built.

Its running Window XP Service Pack 3

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 at 2.40 Ghz

4 gigs of ram.

Also it has Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT graphics card Dual SLI.

And it turns itself off, i already bought 2 more fans, added cooling paste to the processor.

It happens when i play games most of the time, graphic intensive ones. Like CoD 4 so i think it might be the GPU's over heating.

What do you guys think? Need more info? Could it be ram? Power supply maybe? Will i ever fix it? Will you guys ever get laid? Will i ever get laid?

Help.

Advertisements

ravens_creed

ravens_creed

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
- It could be a number of things unfortunately. Overheating doesn't sound like it's an issue. :)
- It could be your memory, although I HIGHLY doubt it. Unless you're playing shooters on maps with like 100 bots, your memory shouldn't be having any problems.
- Depending on how strong your power supply is, that could be the problem, but I couldn't say for sure. When I was running a faster computer with a lower power supply a few years ago, my PC would reboot all the time, and almost exclusively during gaming. From what info you've provided, power supply is as good a guess as any right now. I would also recommend turning the graphic settings down a bit and see if you still experience the same problem.

- You will definitely fix it. If it's a brand new computer, you just need to get to the bottom of this and set it straight from here on in.
- I've been laid countless times, thanks.
- yes, you will get laid, so long as your confidence shines through (and you don't try to impress your would-be candidates with your prowess in CoD 4)

LionelPagan

LionelPagan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I see very well, and yes now that you mention it it appears it doesnt turn off on less graphic intensive games.

But how does the graphics of a game relate to the power supply?

At any rate my next move will probably be getting a higher power supply..

LionelPagan

LionelPagan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Also please note, it doesnt reboot, it just plains shuts off.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, a low powered power supply will cause a computer to do a complete shutdown when there is not enough amps or voltage to run the system. You don't really give your system specs so we can only guess that you have a system that needs around 400 watts on the PS. So you say you have that. Now you need to download speedfan and see what your voltages are( And hope it works on your computer). Even if the temps are off on speedfan see what they are. It may tell you the GPU on the graphics card are too high.

Second thing to check is the voltages in speedfan. If you voltage is lower than 12 volts on the 12 volt line and less than 5 volts on the 5 volt line replace the power supply with a good one similar to this one.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817103512

I had a gaming computer that abruptly shut down after playing a game for only 10 minutes. I found the 12 volt line was at 11.83 volts and the 5 volt line at 4.86 volts. Replacing the PS with a very noisy Thermotake 430 watt unit cured the shutdown problem and showed 12.11 and 5.03 volts. I later replaced the noisy thermotake with a much quieter but more expensive enermax silencer unit.

SRX660