Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SAS vs SATA

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
So Im migrating towards an ESXi server configuration, and my server hardware supplier says that I would need to switch from software RAID and SATA drives to a SAS backplane and drives. I thought SAS was old technology, can someone give me an insight on the two and pros cons, or even if I should consider it.

Thanks.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Here's the Wiki on SATA vs SAS. I'm afraid I don't know much of anything about SAS tho, sorry :)

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The question is what are you doing with the machine and what do you need. While SAS might be based on older technology, it is designed for servers. There are different design specs for disks which should be found on the Internet.

Software raid is cheaper, but there is a cost associated with it in terms of CPU load. Hardware raid is better and faster.

So, my summary is that going in that direction is better for a server that is going to see some use than a random computer for home use.