Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating System Not Found..

• Please log in to reply

Doombringer6969

Doombringer6969

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, So I was deleting stuff off of my computer and I might've went alittle far into "My Computer" and deleted something that I shouldn'tve because now every time I try to boot up my computer it has a black screen and at the top it says Operating System not found.. I Have an Hp Pavilion a335w with windows xp pro that a friend installed for me (not sure what version), I still have the disc he used to install it I tried booting from the disc and nothing so I tried changing the boot order so it would boot directly from the cd drive and it still didn't work.. I really don't want to believe i fried my Hard drive and I really don't think I did because it only started after i rebooted my computer after deleting stuff from it.. Anyone got any tips? Help? Anything out there for me? Just looking on another perspective..

Edited by Doombringer6969, 15 August 2008 - 07:37 PM.

Advertisements

Grinsa

Grinsa

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
How far did you get into the XP installation?

Check this site out. Burning Windows Recovery Console to a Boot Cd. May help fix the problem.

http://www.ultimateb...topic.php?t=856

Doombringer6969

Doombringer6969

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It Wouldn't do anything different when I tried putting the cd in, It wouldn't read the install disc. And I checked that link that you posted and I don't know how to go about all the hex editing and such.. :-/ I'm not super good with computers but I know more than the average user..

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What happens when you boot from the CD? If it's first priority and if the CD drive is OK and if the CD is OK it should give a message "press any key to run setup". This message disappears after few seconds during which you must press any key. If you don't, computer tries to boot from the dead HD.

Grinsa

Grinsa

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
What folder did you delete the file in? If you know, then you can merge the copy of the entire folder and paste over existing files within it to start the computer up. Once computer is started up you can use the recovery console to fix any other problems.

Doombringer6969

Doombringer6969

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The skeptic, When I boot from the CD it doesn't do anything it just goes to the operating system not found screen And yes the cd drive and the HD show up in bios, my friend burnt the CD for me, he had the key laying around but not the disc. Maybe the problem?

Grinsa, When I deleted the file I might of been in program files somewhere I think I might of deleted something out of mbr maybe? Not entirely sure..

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

The skeptic, When I boot from the CD it doesn't do anything it just goes to the operating system not found screen And yes the cd drive and the HD show up in bios, my friend burnt the CD for me, he had the key laying around but not the disc. Maybe the problem?

Hello Doombringer6969

I will see if I am able to get you to boot off the cd by using another method. I would like to to check the boot device priority in the bios and set it to the following

• 1st device = cd/dvd drive
  • 2nd device = Hard Disk Drive
  • 3rd device = Floppy Disk Drive
If you do not have a Floppy Disk Drive installed on your system set the 3rd device to disabled

Exit the bios and save all changes and see if then you can boot off a cd for me.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 21 August 2008 - 04:14 AM.

Doombringer6969

Doombringer6969

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
wizzy2k5, I've already tried that and it just went to the operating system not found screen. I tried messing around with the boot priority in every different order im pretty sure. No result.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

I Have an Hp Pavilion

Just a quick note I would like to ask, with some hp's they install the recovery partition and upon bootup it will say something along the lines of

Press F12 to enter recovery

Or something like that, do you have this option on your computer?

Grinsa

Grinsa

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
If you deleted a file in "Program Files" did you delete it from Recycle Bin too?

If you did there are recovery programs to recover accidentally deleted files.

Here is a list of free programs that may help you.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If boot order and the CD drive are OK then the problem must be with the burnt CD that you use. The computer looks for an operating in system in any of the devices listed in boot priority, starting with the CD drive. The only two options that I can think of:

1: You miss the part in which you have to "press any key to start ...". It only shows up for about 5 seconds and if you miss it the computer looks for an operating system in the next device. Finding nothing it gives the error message.

2: Faulty installation CD. Try another one.

Doombringer6969

Doombringer6969

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
wizzy, I do have the recovery partition but when i click f12 or f10 whichever it is, it doesn't respond. Grinsa, Does the program work without me being able to access anything on the desktop?
The skeptic, I watched the computer boot from the beginning all the way to operating system not found I did not see a press any key. I don't have a actual installation disc for windows xp pro besides the cd my friend gave me, is there anywhere I can download a windows xp pro boot CD?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can borrow a legal disk of the same version from anybody and use your own product key. That's legal. You can also try your disk on another computer. Quit installing when getting the option (Press F3). No harm will done to the other computer.

In newer computers the message "press any key" is missing and the computer goes straight into setup. If you didn't see anything then leave this point for the moment. Looks like either your CD or Cd drive are not working well.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

wizzy, I do have the recovery partition but when i click f12 or f10 whichever it is, it doesn't respond.ro boot CD?

That must be damaged if it is not starting up then. Have a read through what The Skeptic has advised also you may want to take a look at this page here as this tells you how to get your hands on recovery disks.

Regards