Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Space

• Please log in to reply

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hi there.

Yesterday I received an automatic windows update and it seems I now have 500 MB less than I did 3 days ago. I haven't downloaded anything else of significant size in the past three days and I always delete my temporary internet files including the offline content.

My basic question is how can I find things that are taking up space on my computer that it isn't using anymore?

Many thanks

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can run CCleaner or ATF cleaner. Don't remove anything else unless you are 100% you know what it is.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might want to go to the Windows Update site and review your updates to see what was recently installed. Something the updates may have changed is your page file usage. The page file is part of the hard drive used as extra memory when the ram gets low. Windows always puts some stuff in the page file even when the memory isn't low.

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Okay I really need help now.

I just got another windows update today and I now have 600mb less than I did yesterday. Although that was before I even installed them. I checked my harddrive space when I saw the update message bubble. I definately haven't downloaded anything else.

I really need help here. I can't keep losing that amount of space every couple of weeks.

Edited by ira_gaines, 27 August 2008 - 03:42 AM.