Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help opening ports.

• Please log in to reply

Kilzhelm

Kilzhelm

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, I recently bought a Linksys Ultra Rangeplus N Wireless router (WRT160N) and I need help opening the ports.
Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Are you hosting some type of server?

Kilzhelm

Kilzhelm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No but it interferes with my gaming such as hosting games and downloads and I want to open the ports because I know then that there interference will be gone.

Edited by Kilzhelm, 17 August 2008 - 04:43 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
NAT shouldn't cause any issue with gaming unless you are hosting the server. What kind of router do you have? What games are you playing?

Kilzhelm

Kilzhelm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a Linksys Ultra Rangeplus N Wireless router (WRT160N). The games I am trying to host on are Starcraft Broodwar and Warcraft 3. Whenever I try to host I have latency problems and no one can join. This did not happen before I got the router.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The answer to this question:

Are you hosting some type of server?

Is: yes, I am trying to host a game server.

Warcraft III:
Allow port 6112 TCP
Allow port 6112 TCP
Allow port 6113-6119 TCP

Starcraft:
Allow port 6112-6119 TCP and UDP

Begin by assigning your game server machine a static IP. Here is an example if your router's ip is 192.168.1.1 (default Linksys)

IP: 192.168.1.10
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Then under the Applications and Gaming -> Port forewarding section of your router configuration page, forward the ports listed below. You will be forwarding them to the address you assigned to your computer. If you followed the example this will be 192.168.1.10.

These instructions are not detailed. If you are having trouble with something in particular, let me know and I will try to explain it better.

Edited by Titan8990, 24 August 2008 - 02:23 PM.

Kilzhelm

Kilzhelm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank your for the instructions. However I was wondering how do I assign the static IP?

Also, I am using Azureus for torrents and I am having NAT problems. How do I solve that?

Edited by Kilzhelm, 24 August 2008 - 08:03 PM.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Thank your for the instructions. However I was wondering how do I assign the static IP?

To set a static IP address:

1. Open Windows Start menu.
2. Open Control Panel.
3. Classic view: Open Network Connections
Category view: Select Network and Internet Connections, and then Network Connections.
4. Double-click on your active LAN or Internet connection.
5. Click Properties.

This opens the Local Area Connections Properties window.

6. In the General tab, highlight the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item, and click Properties.
This opens the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window.

7. In the General tab, click Use the following IP address, and enter:
- IP address. The static IP address you want to assign to this computer.
- Subnet mask. Subnet mask used by your router.
- Default gateway. IP address of your router's default gateway.
- Preferred DNS. Use your default gateway's IP (your router). Or if you know what DNS server your router is using then use that as well.
8. Click OK.

Also, I am using Azureus for torrents and I am having NAT problems. How do I solve that?

What are you going to download with it?
Please re read our Terms of Use.
:)

Kilzhelm

Kilzhelm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ahh it all worked. Thank you very much for your help, both of you. And I have just read the Terms of Use so disregard the other question :). Thanks again for the great help!