Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal

• Please log in to reply

moz374

moz374

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm unable to boot windows at all...not even into safemode.

attempting to start normally gives a BSOD with

DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
STOP: 0X000000D1 (0X0007430c, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x0007430c)

For awhile I was able to boot into safemode, but it would occasionally completely hang up while loading SPTD.sys. I read about some issues connected with that driver, so I deleted it. On the next restart I was no longer able to make it into safemode...it now hangs immediately after loading MUP.sys.

I haven't been connected to the internet in over a month due to moving, so I haven't downloaded anything, including any windows updates. No new hardware or software installs, either, though I did just hook up a new wireless router...but the computer crashed before i did anything towards installing it.

I've tried all the boot related things I can think of:
-tried to system restore while I still had safemode
-tried to start with last good configuration
-ran chkdsk /p/r through recovery console
-ran fixboot through recovery console
-ran fixmbr through recovery console
-did inplace upgrade (repair) using XP boot cd

i've unplugged the printer, other hard drive, floppy drive, etc, though my wireless card and video card are still plugged in...i'll unplug them today to see if that changes anything.

any ideas at all?? i'm thoroughly stumped and could really use some help!!!!

~Nate

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

......... though my wireless card and video card are still plugged in...i'll unplug them today to see if that changes anything.

Please do that. If you have another video connection at the back of the computer, connect it to the monitor cable while the other card is out. Please report what happens.

moz374

moz374

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
So I unplugged just the wireless card to start, and sure enough it booted right into the Windows Repair Install screen. Seems to be working fine and I was able to boot into XP normally once it finished.

Was this most likely a driver problem, or is it with the hardware? Do I need to buy a new card, or just get current drivers?

Thanks for your help!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The error shows that it's driver related. It could help to download an updated driver.

Thanks for letting us know.

moz374

moz374

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I redownloaded and installed the current driver, and got the same error message.

i then tried the previous driver version, which seems to be working fine.

Not sure what the issue was, since I've been using the same wireless card and driver for over a year now, but at least everything is working again.

for any future readers, the wireless card was a Linksys WMP54g v4 on the 3.0.3.0 driver.

the 2.2.7.0 driver still worked.

Thanks for your help skeptic! keep up the good work

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
That's a typical case that shows that newer drivers can fail. Many people have a tendency to update drivers or, even worse, BIOS. I never do that unless I have a specific problem. Drivers and BIOS updates are not to be taken lightly. One should Keep to what worked well.

Again, thanks for your update.