Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with the net on my compter...

• Please log in to reply

patiszerg

patiszerg

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey all, I've got a problem with downloading files, streaming videos and updating programs from the internet. None of these actions will work on my computer. What happens is that my connection will initially start to stream a video for example and then just suddenly stop. This also occurs when downloading files and requesting updates for software on my computer. Using different browsers such as Firefox or EI does not help.

I have NEVER ran into this sort of problem and I cannot find anything on the web at all about it. Does anybody have any idea what's up? Let me know please.

This is what I've tried so far... defragmenting my hard drive, increasing my virtual memory, clearing my temporary internet files and running scan disk error checks on my hard drive. I've also uninstalled adobe flash and reinstalled it.

Slight update... if this may help anybody... this video will load on my comp
BUT... this one will not. video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5196977146682702313

Edited by patiszerg, 17 August 2008 - 09:29 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Is it only when you download or is it also when you just surf the net? If it's only in downloading then, I heard, there is a downloading limit time with some of the internet service provider. Have you tried to consult the technical support there? (by the way, if a service provider would try something like that where I leave, he will lose all his customers in a week).

There are other possibilities for the problem but I would expect them to show up in any internet activity:

1: Faulty network adapter driver. Uninstall the driver in device manager, reboot and let windows install it afresh. Please note: the driver may not be available in windows library. In this case you will have to install it from a drivers disk or download it (before removing the present driver) from the motherboard's or computer's manufacturer internet site.

2: Corrupted winsock or tcp/ip files.

3: Faulty modem/router. Try to switch off for few minutes and switch on again. You can even reset the modem but then you will have to configure it again.

3: Faulty network adapter.

patiszerg

patiszerg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Is it only when you download or is it also when you just surf the net? If it's only in downloading then, I heard, there is a downloading limit time with some of the internet service provider. Have you tried to consult the technical support there? (by the way, if a service provider would try something like that where I leave, he will lose all his customers in a week).

There are other possibilities for the problem but I would expect them to show up in any internet activity:

1: Faulty network adapter driver. Uninstall the driver in device manager, reboot and let windows install it afresh. Please note: the driver may not be available in windows library. In this case you will have to install it from a drivers disk or download it (before removing the present driver) from the motherboard's or computer's manufacturer internet site.

2: Corrupted winsock or tcp/ip files.

3: Faulty modem/router. Try to switch off for few minutes and switch on again. You can even reset the modem but then you will have to configure it again.

4: Faulty network adapter.

Hey, Thanks for the information. First of all surfing the web is fine. I can load any website out there.

For number 1, I tried that and it didn't help.

Number 2, I have no idea about that so I'll check around and see what I can do to see if my winsock or tcp/ip files are corrupted.

Number 3, I don't have a modem/router. My Ethernet cable is plugged right into the wall in a 'dorm room' like style internet set-up. I don't think this is the problem because my roommate's computer hooked into the same place works fine.

Number 4, Fault network adapter. Do you mean my Ethernet card? It’s integrated into my motherboard so I'd have to buy one and test this.

THANKS alot for your help!

Pat

patiszerg

patiszerg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey yep it must have been my winsock. I went here and found a 'fix winsock program' http://forums.techgu...nsock-file.html and it seens to have fixed it! Thank goodness my compter allowed me to down load that program. I also saw it just now in your signature. lol

Thanks again,
Pat

Edited by patiszerg, 19 August 2008 - 02:12 PM.