Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system password

• Please log in to reply

jcham504

jcham504

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I have a problem that has me stumped. I set up and admin and system password for my dell optiplex and saved settings and rebooted. When i rebooted the the system wants that password before loading. I know my password but the keyboard won't function so i can enter it. I have tried every usb port for the keyboard and other keyboards with the other types of connections. I get no response from any of them. Can anyone give me a solution. Thks

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Dell Dimension BIOS Password Recovery

The BIOS password may be cleared from a Dell Dimension by moving the password jumper on the motherboard.

The location of the password jumper on a Dell Dimension motherboard can be found by reviewing the Dimension User Guides.

For most Dell Dimension desktops, the steps to reset a BIOS password and clear all CMOS settings are:

* Locate the 3-pin CMOS password reset jumper on the system board.
* Remove the jumper plug from pins 1 and 2.
* Place the jumper plug on pins 2 and 3 and wait approximately 5 seconds.
* Replace the jumper plug on pins 1 and 2.

Dell Optiplex BIOS Password Recovery

The BIOS password may be cleared from a Dell Optiplex by removing the password jumper (PSWD) from the motherboard.

The location of the password jumper on a Dell Optiplex motherboard can be found by reviewing the Optiplex User Guides.

For most Dell Optiplex desktops, the steps to reset a BIOS password and clear all CMOS settings are:

* Locate the 3-pin CMOS password reset jumper on the system board.
* Remove the jumper plug from pins 1 and 2.
* Place the jumper plug on pins 2 and 3 and wait approximately 5 seconds.
* Replace the jumper plug on pins 1 and 2.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
once you can normally enter the bios, please make sure that legacy usb support is enabled. This will allow mouse/keyboard input at boot level.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Double post, solution here.