Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Laptop-DVD drive stopped working

• Please log in to reply

sandep_vl

sandep_vl

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I have Toshiba Laptop. All of a sudden, its DVD drive has stopped working. When I insert any CD/DVD, yellow/orange light on the drive blinks; I can feel DVD/CD rotating inside; but after that nothing happens.

Pls help.

Thanks.
Sandeep

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
does the drive show up in my computer? how about device manager? any flags( these are little yellow marks ) in device manager either on it or anything else? It's possible that the drive is dead or maybe just dirty....

Scott Mead

Scott Mead

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I had the same issue with mine, if it is still under warenty then get it fixed. Mine stopped working right after the warenty was up.

Good Luck
Scott

sandep_vl

sandep_vl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No, My Computer does not show the drive. Also I do not see any errors in driver manager. Also I tried to "add hardware". But did not find it in the list to add.
I am confused that if drive is is dead or dirty, then how come it opens up, I can put DVD in it, close it, yellow/orange light blinks for few seconds, I can feel CD rotating inside. I do not understand much about hardware and drivers. So pls explain.

Thanks in anticipation.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello sandep_vl...

Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

wannabe1

sandep_vl

sandep_vl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey,

I had looked for UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed (by reading to one of your replies to somebody else earlier). I believe only 1 one of it was present, do not remember if it was upper or lower. But I deleted that and rebooted laptop. Still did not work.

Pls advise.

Thanks,
Sandeep

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Do you have a windows cd/dvd? If you do put that in the drive and try rebooting... you might have to go into setup ( usually f1, f2 or del keys ) and tell it to boot the cdrom before the hard drive. If the computer will boot up from the windows cd ( or any cd if you have something else that will boot ) If it does then at least we know it's a windows thing....

sandep_vl

sandep_vl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Good idea, I will try it out tonight. Thanks.

sandep_vl

sandep_vl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi there,

I tried booting from CD/DVD drive but it booted from HDD, i.e. I changed the option of booting first from CD/DVD and then from HDD. But still I could feel that when I insert DVD, it rotates inside and also light on the drive blinks.

Is there any other way/option?

Thanks,
Sandeep

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
most laptops have a key ( usually f12 ) to hit to get a boot menu. Also note if you are booting from an actual windows disk it should at some point say to boot from cd press a key... if it's not doing that and you have told it to boot from cd either the disk isn't working or the drive is toast..... it's also possible that the controller is bad but that isn't as likely... if you have another computer try booting the cd in it.... if it works there I'd say your dvd drive is toast.