Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade usb1 to usb2

• Please log in to reply

englang

englang

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi everyone,

I hope this is posted in the right location.

A friend has a Packard bell desktop which in all respects is adequate except it has only USB1 sockets.

It has a microstar MS-6511 v1 motherboard with an AMD XP2200 chip. The BIOS is Megatrends 07.00T

How can I upgrade it?

Following a PC world suggestion I have tried a Belkin USB PCI card but this seemed to crash the system.

Thanks in anticipation.

Advertisements

englang

englang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Is there no-one who can help me please?

At least tell me if its not possible or if I have posted this in the wrong section of the forum.

Thanks, hopefully.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the only way is to get a USB2.0 card like you've gotten...you'd need to try a different brand/model if the one you got didn't work

englang

englang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Many thanks dsenette.

Please take care not to over estimate my technical knowledge or ability!

Was there anything I may have done wrong the first time? Do I need to uninstall anything before installing the new PCI card, eg. the existing USB stuff (but how) or the modem PCI card that was removed to free up a PCI slot. Help!!

Thanks

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

If you removed a piece of hardware (the modem), then you can uninstall it and the drivers from your system.

Can you please define "crash the system"? What exactly happened?

Did you get to the desktop so you can install the drivers? Do you have the appropriate drivers for your friends OS?

Cheers

Troy