Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using uxtheme or vistaglazz with Vista 64-bit.

• Please log in to reply

statictech

statictech

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I want custom themes, but upon looking I found about about this necessity, ugh [bleep] you microsoft!

So my options seem to be:
1. Use uxtheme and do a bunch of unsafe manual stuff that doesn't seem to be working for a lot of people (check out these reviews)

2. Use Vistaglazz 1.0, but I'd have to uninstall SP1 and reinstall it later I think (or not?). My question with this option is whether its safe to uninstall SP1.

3. Use Vistaglazz 1.1 beta3 (listed at the bottom of the above link), which works with SP1 but its a beta and is hence less stable. It's also only been tested on 32-bit systems, I have 64-bit.

Either option I plan to create at least 2 restore points before hand, but I just want a higher opinion on what is the safest path to go. Or maybe there's another type of safety backup I could perform? If this whole thing is too risky I probably won't go ahead with it anyway. I don't mind doing a bunch of work to get these working, but I do mind a high security risk, mainly because it will be used on a new laptop that I spent a lot of money on and I haven't used much of its value yet.

Edited by statictech, 19 August 2008 - 01:27 PM.

Advertisements

statictech

statictech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Erm okay can I at least get an answer for what exactly SP1 does differently from basic Vista, and if its safe to uninstall that?

ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Vista SP1 had a lot of changes, including, many security updates. Personally, i would not recommend sacrificing these security updates for the sake of custom themes.

I have never used VistaGlazz, so cannot comment.

The full details of what SP1 actually does can be found HERE (microsoft link), although it is quite a long read.

ibizaGTi