Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Language Bar Removal is Vista

• Please log in to reply

Zholahn

Zholahn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have been looking for solutions for 5 days now, but I can't get rid of the Language Bar. :)

I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate (Retail Verison) updated to Service Pack 1.

I've tried every option within the Regional Setting and Language Setting, but every time the UAC requests an action confirmation, the Language Bar tags along.

I've edited the Registry "Computer\HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\CTF\LangBar" ShowStatus line as mentioned on one forum, nope, Bar still exists.
Someone on this forum suggested using the command "regsvr32.exe /u msutb.dll" but nope, all I get is an error with the code 0x80040201 in it (with and without UAC enabled) :)

Please can someone tell me how to get rid of the Language Bar PERMANENTLY - I never never never want to see it again, ever.

Thank you in advance for any help supplied (if any). :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Zholahn...

Right click on the language bar and choose "Close". It shouldn't come back.

wannabe1

Zholahn

Zholahn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Using the Close option does nothing at all - if only it was that easy. :)

I finally got it to shorten, so I've hidden it under the SideBar for now.

At least it only appears for UAC prompts - but it's still a pain in the arse. :)

Just proves Windows isn't as User Friendly as Microsoft would have us believe. :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have any language packs installed?

Can you post me a screen shot of the toolbar?