Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem not working - causing error shut down

• Please log in to reply

wmeflg

wmeflg

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi. I have a year-old Dell Inspiron 531S running Vista Home Premium. Device manager says there are not enough free resources for the dial-up modem (Code 12). On shutdown, I get a blue screen with the message
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL at the top and then it restarts instead of shutting down. If I disable the modem, the shutdown was fine.

I have downloaded a modem driver from Dell, and when I try to install it, it says it can't find the modem. System was recognizing it as an In-Build CX11256 by Conexant.

I physically removed and replaced modem which didn't help. I uninstalled modem device to see if I could reinstall it, and now it's trying to install it as a video controller which fails because it's using a modem driver.

I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software.

Now, you may have another problem of the modem is using the same IRQ as other hardware(usually Video) in the computer causing the blue screen.

This device cannot find any free <type> resources to use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you must disable another device that is using the resources this device needs. To do this, click Hardware Troubleshooter and follow the instructions in the wizard.

Where <type> is a resource type (IRQ, DMA, Memory, or I/O).

Changing a IRQ

http://www.helpwithp...rq-settings.htm

SRX660