Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disabling Firewall in Norton Internet Security

• Please log in to reply

itfirefighter

itfirefighter

• Pip
  • 5 posts
A friend purchased Norton Internet Security 2005 (NIS) for her Windows 98 computers. They now have a hardware firewall and want to disable the NIS firewall permanently but keep the antivirus up and running.

2005 will allow temporary disabling until the system reboots but I think the permanently disabling will take a registry hack; does anyone know how to accomplish this? :tazz:

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I wouldn't recomend it unless they have a commercial firewall. the normal linksys, netgear, belkin routers are a good first line protection, but don't do enough. Especially with windows 98 which has next to no security NIS would be good to leave on it.

Now if you still want to do it, antivirus and nis should be separate installs. you can uninstall NIS. Note that I do not recomend this for the above reasons.

Starjax