Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Capture Cards

• Please log in to reply

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I was wondering about something dealing with Video Capture Cards. In order to receive digital or HD channels, would you have to go through your Digital/HD Box first, or can you bypass this with certain cards? Also, would you have any suggestions on which card to buy?

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
My understanding on TV Tuner cards (what I think you are trying to refer to) is that some can receive over-the-air digital and/or HD signals. These cards have built-in digital and/or HD tuners. These same cards can also receive digital and/or HD content via cable, without the use of a "box". That is, you'd plug the cable directly into the TV Tuner card. This is similar to the way that HDTVs with built-in HD tuners don't require a "box" to receive HD content. If you are looking for a TV Tuner card with these capabilities, this one is a good choice.

Edited by stettybet0, 21 August 2008 - 09:24 PM.

Granz00

Granz00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Okay, just so this is completely clear. If I am paying for regular cable, plus digital cable, then I would receive all of the channels from both, without the use of the Digital Cable box? If I decided to upgrade to the HD packages, I would get those also through this, or would I only get the "Over the air" HD channels?

It gets kinda expensive paying a ton of money per month for digital channels, then paying an additional $10 or so PER TV that you feel like viewing them on. If I could get away with a one time payment of $80 to view the stuff I'm already paying for, that would be wonderful...

Thanks for the information so far.